Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternatives to axle pins for welded diffs?

singletrack

I just broke my 3/16th punch :banghead: and I was thinking about a better way.

All those spring pins do is ensure the axle won't slide off the spline, so you could shove pretty much anything in there an it'd work.

So, I'm thinking an appropriately sized bolt and a couple of nuts backed into each other would work,or even a bolt with a lil' hole drilled in for a R/C car body clip or the like. I'd choose a size that would ensure there's no slop, or even go a little small and put some rubber tubing around the bolt so it fit snug but comes out easy.

The drilled bolt and clip would make pulling/adding an axle take like 10 seconds. Even with some nuts on there it'd be fast, I'd rather break out a couple of 12mm wrenches then lay in the dirt and beat on a roll pin.

I'd keep the pins in the axle that stays put of course. The only hangup I can see is making sure the bolt (or whatever I use) clears the trailing arm as the axle spins.

Anywho, I'm SURE I'm not the first to think of this, so somebody come and tell me it'll work. Or tell me it won't so I can try it anyway.

bent nail

I'd run it :drunk:But then again I'd run anything. hose clamps, duct tape, zip ties, they're the name of the game when you're wheelin with me ;)

In fact I have 1 hose clamp being used as a balancing weight on a driveshaft that I made about 1mm out (and it works perfectly now, up to 200km/hr :brow: ) The other hose clamp is holding my broken t-case mount right now, and hasnt failed me on any of my backyard excursions yet, though I will fix it properly before I put it on the road.

ok, not to sound all high and mighty, i do some ghetto stuff from time to time. but zip ties, and cotter pins wont to the job the roll pin does. they move around on those splines enough with the pin in there, and its a tight fit.

i've never had any problem removing them, or installing them =/

they move around on those splines enough with the pin in there, and its a tight fit.

A tight fit in the cv cup yes, but the hole through the stub axle is much bigger than the roll pin. So the spline can slide around regardless.

I am actually drilling out the pin holes on a spare axle right now so they'll fit the 1/4" clevis pins I got at Truevalue. I think it'll work good, but if doesn't you guys will be the first to know:drunk:

I'm no hardcore wheeler like you guys but I do have experience with those clevis pins. one word: CRAP. I USED to use those on my trailer at work (the good ones not the cheap junk for walmart etc) and they will blow apart if you look at them funny. Keep in mind this is on a TRAILER not a hardcore rig like you guys have...I like the bolt idea much better than that sh*&&y clevis pin.

Hate to burst your bubble.... but I'd hate even more to see you stranded.

Matt

I've used 6 penny framing nails, and cotter pins both on my axles with no problems at all. Works just fine. That pin isn't a load bearing item, only thing it does is keep the cup from sliding off the stub. Now if you have your suspension improperly set up, then it is possible that you could shear off the cotter pin, but more than likely you would hyper-extend the joint first. (Done that a lot). Thats all SOOBME ran on his wagon, as well as a few others round here.

I just did a pretty gnarly run (my first with the welded diff) and had nothing but cotter pins stuck through my axles.

Believe me, I was working I was working the suspension past its limits and had no problems. Time will tell of course, but I think it's fine.

Installing and removing axles took under 5 minutes, but even then it was a pain to unbend the cotters. If I can make the clevis pin work, installing should be like 2-3 min, and I prolly won't even hafta get under the car to pull the axle.