Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Catch Cans?

when you do a lot of hard cornering, the oil in the oil pan shifts to the opposite side of the turn, centrifugal force thing doing it, and the oil cant be picked up by the oil pump, motor starves for oil, not to mention turbo starves, and motor goes bang, a catch can is mounted higher than the motor to store oil and give the motor oil while cornering, also adds to the amount of total oil in car, double the oil, the longer it lasts, not to mention you can add an oil cooler really easy.

~Josh~

when you do a lot of hard cornering, the oil in the oil pan shifts to the opposite side of the turn, centrifugal force thing doing it, and the oil cant be picked up by the oil pump, motor starves for oil, not to mention turbo starves, and motor goes bang, a catch can is mounted higher than the motor to store oil and give the motor oil while cornering, also adds to the amount of total oil in car, double the oil, the longer it lasts, not to mention you can add an oil cooler really easy.

~Josh~

Actually hard corner issues are dealt with by dry sump systems. Catch cans are designed to separate/catch oil vented by crank ventilation system and stop oil vapour being sucked into the turbo (oil droplets can lead to detonation).

A local guy in the MN Subaru club just did a sweet write up on adding a water seperator to the PCV system. Catches all that wonderfull stuff instead of shoving it down your intake. It was originally posted on a Hyundai forum. Clever idea; basicly just uses a water seperator for air tools.

any links?

http://www.mnsubaru.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1697

- Local MN Subaru club member's write up. Might need login for the forum, not sure.

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/topic.php?t=46353

- Original write up on Hyundai forum. Don't think you need a login to view becuase I dont have one and I could go right to it.

* enjoy *

That “paint can” catch tank that MR2 guy made is pretty cool. The water separator could work well to.

In most cases oil control problems are due to bad rings, but boxer engines seem to have more issues than some others. I think it has to do with the lack of height between breather outlets and the PCV valve (old VWs have problems too). Turbo cars have it even worse because of the positive manifold pressure, when on boost you either have to draw the crank case vapors through the turbo or let them build up in the case, on sustained boost this can be a big problem. Having a good separator makes the drawing through the turbo a lot better.

To get the oil to drop out, you need to slow down the flow and cool it, lots of surface area for the oil to collect on will help to. The paint can idea is good but the inlet should enter lower in the can and I’d but a layer of very course steel wool between the inlet and outlet. Having the plumbing run through the lid would be good so you could remove and clean the can easier.

Just some thoughts

Gary

i took a nalgene bottle, and ran my breather hoses to a t. drilled two holes in the top. shoved the breather hose in one hole, and stuck one of those ricer filters in the other hole.

my motor doesnt have much blow by at all, but i had about a half a cup in there after 500 miles, mostly water from this cold weather. some oil.

i use it on na cars to keep my intake from getting filled with oil and dirt/carbon.

• 1 year later...

I added up the parts and labor involved to build one,, and if you had to buy these parts . it is much cheeper to buy the whole thing!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8060785885&fromMakeTrack=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GREDDY-OIL-CATCH-RESERVOIR-TANK-CAN-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33556QQitemZ8062619709QQrdZ1

DA-OIL-CATCH-TANK-X-LARGE.jpg

10 dollars for item and 20 for shipping, not bad.

Catch cans are designed to separate/catch oil vented by crank ventilation system and stop oil vapour being sucked into the turbo (oil droplets can lead to detonation).

i dont know about detonation, but i dont want an oil lined intercooler. that kills the intercoolers ability to efficiently disippate heat.

Question about catch cans, how do they get plumbed in? The ones I see have one inlet and outlet. So how would this work on the Subarus, where you have two tubes coming off the valve covers, and one coming from the PCV Valve? Would you have to merge all three, run them to the inlet, and then run the outlet to the intake tubing?

Here's the way mine is run:

Pass side stock

Driver side, run straight up into "Brake Booster filter" from the "help" section of Advance to let the vapors expand and condense on the filter and run back into the motor, from these it goes into an ebay catch can mounted where the A/C was, then into the pcv valve. Total Cost: About $20

P1010010.JPG