Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 loyal 4x4 automatic wont shift out of 1st gear

fgug

I picked up a mint 91 loyal 4x4 for 50 bucks.. its got the 3 speed auto tranny. the lady I got it from said "needs a tranny" .. I drove it home .. starts out in drive and wont shift, but when putting shift lever in 2nd, it shifts smoothly. I get reverse and 4x4 with no problem.. any help will be appreciated. thanks. Frank

Frank,a couple of things you want to check are the governor,which is accesable from the engine bay and is located on the passenger side.It has three bolts in a triangular pattern just back from the bellhousing a bit.Take that out and check the small cylindrical gear for "apple coring".There is a metalic version available but getting hard to find.A really good counterperson will research and find one for you.

I've had them run better just cleaning off the mechanism too.

Also,the modulator on the underside of tranny is worth changing out.They're about $25 and will make a difference,especially in a car that has been sitting.

When you pull the small rubber hose off of it you might see some oil drip out.That will indicate that you definitely need to swap it out.

Feel free to contact me through email or PM

Paul

Frank,a couple of things you want to check are the governor,which is accesable from the engine bay and is located on the passenger side.It has three bolts in a triangular pattern just back from the bellhousing a bit.Take that out and check the small cylindrical gear for "apple coring".There is a metalic version available but getting hard to find.A really good counterperson will research and find one for you.

Also,the modulator on the underside of tranny is worth changing out.They're about $25 and will make a difference,especially in a car that has been sitting.

When you pull the small rubber hose off of it you might see some oil drip out.That will indicate that you definitely need to swap it out.

Paul

Paul, thanks. I will check that out today and issue the results.. BTW, I would like to say that I have been researching my problem all week, and got literally nowhere online until I got onto thiis board.. you are all very knowledgeable and your help will save me and many others many dollars and time. so, thanks very much.

Paul

Moosens, where is the modulator? do I access it from jacking the front end? Is it near the tranny oil pan? Thanks, Gug

Moosens, where is the modulator? do I access it from jacking the front end? Is it near the tranny oil pan? Thanks, Gug

Approx. 10 inches towards the back from the passenger-side front axle. It is next to and towards back from an electrical solenoid that also screws into the case.

Skip and moosens are dead on with their comments about the 3-speed automatic (aka 3AT around here). Keep the fluid clean and filled, and if it looks or smells burnt then replace the fluid. Replace it anyway as insurance. Replace it twice to be nice. BTW, if/when you replace the vacuum modulator it will dump ATF, so be prepared for the stuff coming out.

(sorry for stealing your glory, moosens. :grin:)

Approx. 10 inches towards the back from the passenger-side front axle. It is next to and towards back from an electrical solenoid that also screws into the case.

Skip and moosens are dead on with their comments about the 3-speed automatic (aka 3AT around here). Keep the fluid clean and filled, and if it looks or smells burnt then replace the fluid. Replace it anyway as insurance. Replace it twice to be nice. BTW, if/when you replace the vacuum modulator it will dump ATF, so be prepared for the stuff coming out.

(sorry for stealing your glory, moosens. :grin:)

Thank u Northwet.. also, I was wondering if there is a tranny vent.. when I take the dip stick out after fdriving, there is pressure released.. I think if there is a vent, then it is clogged. Fgug

hi

i had the same problem, listen:

1. change your gear oil + filter

2.take out the governer,clean it , take some silikon and new 3 screws and put it back (close it that it will be close complitly,close it very well, even for air - like in vacum).

good luck.

I took out the governor.. what should it look like if good? I changed the tran ny what is "apple coring"? the hose was removed from the modulator.. no fluid came out.. does this mean the modulator is good? also, I will change the gear oil.. does anyone have the capacity.. anything I should look for? thanks to all/ Frank

Like Skip said, sounds like a classic case of the governor sticking. The 3AT in my '87 wagon did the same thing, after the "fix" its been fine for years.

If you haven't all ready, look here for the info:

http://www.usmb.net/repair/?CurrentDirectory=FOLDER_3f29b58f50d9b8.15492800/&FileType=Article&File=ARTICLE_3f57fdb83de231.34713659.art

Good Luck

Gary