Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oilpump questions..

Well, i was flippin through my spec book and noticed that the oil pressure in an EA82 is supposed to be 57 psi @ 2500 RPM.

Now, I'm runnin about 40-42 psi @ 2500 RPMs, havent changed the oil since i bought this car, but i was wondering, if an oilchange doesnt bring the pressure back up is it new oilpump time?

By the way, when i first start the car, the oil pressure reads about 70 psi, then after it warms up it goes down to 40-45 psi... could this be an oilchange issue?

I personally have never seen this in an EA82 before regardless of oil condition.

Thanks for input,

Incognito.

P.S. - By the way, someone told me when they switched out their oilpump that they had never felt so much power out of an EA82.. is this jive b.s. or will switchin out an oilpump do that? Thanks again.

Well, i was flippin through my spec book and noticed that the oil pressure in an EA82 is supposed to be 57 psi @ 2500 RPM.

Now, I'm runnin about 40-42 psi @ 2500 RPMs, havent changed the oil since i bought this car, but i was wondering, if an oilchange doesnt bring the pressure back up is it new oilpump time?

By the way, when i first start the car, the oil pressure reads about 70 psi, then after it warms up it goes down to 40-45 psi... could this be an oilchange issue?

I personally have never seen this in an EA82 before regardless of oil condition.

Thanks for input,

Incognito.

P.S. - By the way, someone told me when they switched out their oilpump that they had never felt so much power out of an EA82.. is this jive b.s. or will switchin out an oilpump do that? Thanks again.

Your oil pressure sounds pretty good.

I had mine running around 30 psi for a while with no problems, but the the TOD came a knockin. Re-sealing my oil pump (no new parts, just the two orings and the shaft seal) brought the pressure right back up and got rid of the TOD totally. It now runs around 45-50 psi when all heated up (70 psi on starup) and alls well.

You really should change your oil in an EA82 every 3-5K miles. It will like you for (and so will your HLA's).

As for power difference, I didn't notice much if anything but she sure sounds better:grin:

I'd put on a real oil pressure guage first. See what its really putting out. Some corrosion and extra resistance at the sending unit or in the wire between sending unit and guage could cuase a difference in what your guage reads and what the pump is actually putting out for PSI.

After than then you can realyl make some edcuated decisions on what needs to be done; if anything at all. Worst case it sounds like a reseal job. You can buy just the seal kit. Should also be able to get a new impeller shaft. Completely new oil pump assembly is rarely required.

What are you thinking? Change the oil! I don't cre who you got it from but go down to an auto shop and pick out a flush, one qt. to ever one qt. of oil (I don't care what the bottle says) run for ten+ minutes parked, drain and fill, drive ten miles, drain and fill. I might not up you pressure but it's worth it!

The stock gauge basically tells you if there is oil pressure or not. It's not an accurate gauge.

Subaru motors are notorious for having low oil pressure, but they last forever even then. Your pressure is pretty darn good. Mine runs a little lower than that, and that's with a new pump in a rebuilt 205k engine. My Mobil1 10w30 is a bit thinner than most oils, so that brings the pressure down a little bit.