Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fron brake piston problems

So, the 85 wagon now wears a 5 sp dual range, and the shot auto is a------what, a yaht anchor? Whatever.

Getting the clutch/brake box out of the doner car, and switching them was a devil, just like was stated here at usmb, but it got done.

Only problem was, while struggleing to twist the assembly out from under the stearing colum and instaling the other one, the master cylinder piston got pushed in I don't know how many times.

Now the fron brake calipers pistons are squoze out to far to clear the pads, and they will not be pushed back in. No way, no how. Even made a crude press with a piece of angle iron, bunch of washers and nut. Really put the pressure on it, with the bleeders open. No movement. AAARRRRGHHH!!!!

Have to confess that the brakes on this rig did not function anyway, before I started this tranny swap. They were incrdibly mushy, pedal to the floor, and only barely slowed the rig down.

This Soob sat for five Central Oregon snowy winters. But I THINK they were working before it was parked due to failed Auto Trans.

Front pads look new, by the way, whatever that means.

Whats my best bet here?

I'm thinking maybe just grab the caliper assemblys from the donar car, as the brakes work great on that one, and use whichever pads look best.

I havent been into the rear drums yet.

And what are the odds of a master cylinder prob too?

Thanks for any advice. This project has wore this oldtimer to the bone, working alone and outside in the weather, and to have this glitch so near the end is pretty frustrating, whine whine crybabypeepeepantssnivelsnivel.

F-it, I'm gonna have a shot and beer.

Pyro

Um, have you tried to "turn" the pistons in yet? You will have to swing the caliper back, and remove the pads. Look at the piston - use SOMETHING to turn it clockwise while pushing in HARD - that should do it - and if you are going to bleed your brakes later anyway, open the bleeder screw - makes the job easier.

Is your emergency on? It actuates the front wheels. (mechanism reason for brake pistons needed to be turned)

on my 86 gl that i had,when i did the front brakes the first time i found out that you have to turn them(pistons) back in.there is a tool you can buy.or if your really careful you can use a pair of vise grips(just watch out for dust boot)

an if that doesn't work then just use calipers from donar car