Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone tried running a 4bbl on their soob?

i was in autozone and noticed those adapter plate to make a 4bbl fit a 2bbl intake and vise-versa and it looked like the 2bbl side would fit the soob intake, has anyone ever tried this. dont know if it would even work at all. i gotta holley 650cfm sitting around here somewheres that i could put on if someone thinks this could work. basically this is just an idea im throwing out there, if someone has mentioned this b4 i am sorry for repeating it, but im just kinda curious since this hitachi i got on it now sucks in my opinion

That's WAAAAAY too big. I highly doubt it would work out very well. Most people that upgrade carbs on soobies go with the Weber 32/36 DGEV, some have run the 38/38. Those carbs are about all you need/can handle with a stock engine.

I think even the guys with 150 hp EA81's are running the 32/36, but I'm not positive about that.

... A 650 on a mildly tuned 350 (5.7L) is a good choice. I would teld to think a 650 on a 1.8L soob would be a bit of an overkill situation.

For several years, I ran a Holly 390 cfm 4bbl on my L20B Datsun engine. It ran beautifully until the carb died due to vibration. Not a cheap carb, though.

yeal like northwet it had a 390 on a small truck

a sr5 toyota 2wd witht eh 20r motor it worked well

considering i could get nice tire chirp at all 5 shifts

i would stay away from a 650 on that small of motor and i suspect a propperly jetted 390 with a fairly stiff vacum secondary spring would work fine

Realistically, the Holley 390cfm didn't give much, if any, more oomph than the 2bbl off of an '80 Nissan 2liter. The Holley looked cool and sounded cool when the secondaries opened, but kept having things vibrate off... like a primary aux venturi! I would stick with a good condition 2bbl or EFI.

For several years, I ran a Holly 390 cfm 4bbl on my L20B Datsun engine. It ran beautifully until the carb died due to vibration. Not a cheap carb, though.

What car was that? my mom used to have a 1972 Datsun 510 wagon (L16 engine) - nice car - blew a head gasket; my dad started, but never finished replacing it!

Realistically speaking - the 1.8L Soob engine cannot handle a 4-barrel carb. - the L20B engine is completely different from the EA81/EA82 and the L series can handle a LOT of power - not that the EA engines can't - but there is a definate difference in displacement and design - the L's have a 5 main bearing bottom end.

well like i had said guys i was just kinda throwing the idea out there kinda wondering if someone had tried it b4. from the response so far though im gonna assume that other than looks it would prob be a big waste of time. i could be wrong on it being a 650 but i would say at least it might be a 550.for right now i cant even seem to figure out where i put the thing at though lol

If you were to put a 4-barrel carb on, I would use an MPFI intake and heads, you have one port per cylinder, and one barrel per cylinder (MPFI manifolds also have better flow volume - I do see an advantage there, though I still think a 4-barrel is to big

would require a LOT of mods tho ...

hmm.. just like most people thought you could not put distributorless ignition on a ea82 ...

all i can totally suggest is give it a try.. math and numbers regarding how some kind of carbs will or won't work are good things to go by.. but.. somethings do work that should never work.. take a look at mr bumblebee... he should not be able to fly... soo eh if it was me i would try it..

at least you would have proof to tell the next person why it did not work instead of why it should not work

I had seen on one of the many aircraft sites that offer subaru engine parts, a 4 barrel intake. I'll try to find it.

I do agree with using MPFI heads and intake, and some custom ground cams. the engine will definatly need more air pumping thru it to use that size carb. Dual exhaust as well.

Here's a thought, I had an 83 or 84 , Mazda RX7 donor car that had a 4 barrel on it stock. I can't remember if it was a hitachi or nikki. I believe it was the 12B rotary. It may be smaller than the holley 390 and still give more power than the weber?????

sure its not a 12A?

12A should be carbed with a Nikki SHOULD be about 300 cfm

13B would be fuel injected

the 12B is confusing, the single distributor 12A was originally supposed to be called a 12B but they decided to keep the 12A name, so technically I guess a 12B is actually a single distributor 12A (earlier 12A's had twin dizzies)

sure its not a 12A?

12A should be carbed with a Nikki SHOULD be about 300 cfm

13B would be fuel injected

the 12B is confusing, the single distributor 12A was originally supposed to be called a 12B but they decided to keep the 12A name, so technically I guess a 12B is actually a single distributor 12A (earlier 12A's had twin dizzies)

I'm trying to remember, I didn't have it long. But I believe it had one distributor and a funky twin rotor and an odd cap.

either way, it was a four barrel with a ton of vaccum lines!

well someone mentioned turbo earlier, im really not interested in running a turbo on my motor though i would prefer to keep it n/a. basically my idea on the 4bbl was to push a few more ponies outta my motor. looks like i may just wait till i can get my hi-pro buildup of my other motor done to attempt this. anyone think it would help with the 4bbl for running a NOS system though?