Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How wide is too wide (tire question)?

Well, I have given up on lifting my Brat for now. What I want to do is put wide tires on instead. I have a set of 15x6" alloy rims from an Isuzu that appear to have approximately the same back space as the stock 13" rims. I would like to put some Falken Ziex ZE-512 225/50R15 tires on them. These tires are about 9 inches wide, but 23.5" in diameter, so while they are about stock diameter, I am worried about whether they will rub in the front wheel wells.

What experience have people had with putting wide tires on their soobs? I could go with 205 and 215 widths in low profile tires, too, but widest is bestest (Brats with wide tires look like lowriders naturally, something about the styling). Tell me what you have done to push the limits successfully without lifting your car.

I'm doing about the same thing. Only with 15x7 wheels with 1" less backspacing. I'm getting a 225/50/15 Mastercraft GT tire mounted tomarrow to do some testing. I'll post my findings and maybe I can give you some insight in how much clearance you might have.

Craven

I put 205/50R15's on my brat without any problem. 225 sounds pretty wide and tall... i think you'll run into some problems with them. My 205's got real close to the fenders when i turned from lock to lock, and if I backed up with my tires turned all the way I would get alittle rubbing.

Nothing a small sledge wouldnt fix.

-Brian

Okay, I will be very interested to hear about what Craven has to say tomorrow. I agree with Brian about rubbing. 205/50R15 is a bit smaller diameter, so if they already rub, then it will be tough with wider tires. I can reduce the backspace, but I still wonder whether they will rub the fenders when turned full.

Craven will hopefully have good news!

I put 205/50R15's on my brat without any problem. 225 sounds pretty wide and tall... i think you'll run into some problems with them. My 205's got real close to the fenders when i turned from lock to lock, and if I backed up with my tires turned all the way I would get alittle rubbing.

Nothing a small sledge wouldnt fix.

-Brian

Are those the tires your running on your RX with pug Wheels?

My friend owns a tire shop and the only tire he has in stock right now is the 205/55/15 which is the same height 23.90" but about 1/2" narrower than 225/50/15 . Here is the tire I'm going to test. http://mastercrafttire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=Passenger&id=204&title=Passenger+Tires

I like the looks of the Avenger GT better, so if this tire clears the fenders with room to spare, I'll order the 225/50/15 GT's or the P794 205/55/15

Click on the pass car icon to see the other tires I'm talking about.

No, the ones on my RX are 195/50R15's. I had a '86 Brat with 205/60's (sorry, correction there. Not 205/50's but 205/60's). Here's a picture of them on the brat.

bratpug2.sized.jpg

&

bratpug3.jpg

Not sure what the backspacing is on the rims, but if yours are different you may or maynot have problems. If you do, just find out where it rubs and massage it with a hammer. You can also roll your fenders fairly easily.

I didnt chose to adjust the front struts. I didnt want to change the camber or anything.

-Brian

No, the ones on my RX are 195/50R15's. I had a '86 Brat with 205/60's (sorry, correction there. Not 205/50's but 205/60's). Here's a picture of them on the brat.

&

Not sure what the backspacing is on the rims, but if yours are different you may or maynot have problems. If you do, just find out where it rubs and massage it with a hammer. You can also roll your fenders fairly easily.

I didnt chose to adjust the front struts. I didnt want to change the camber or anything.

-Brian

Brian

Nice looking Brat you had there.

Your 60's were almost an 1" taller than 225/50/15 24.73" v. 23.80" in the Mastercraft line anyway. I'll find out tomarrow if it dosn't snow to damn much tonight. My friend that sells the tires, also has a snow plowing business.

Glenn

I measured the backspace on my rims and it is 3.75" (versus the 4.5" backspace of stock rims?). That would mean the 225/50R15's should wind up being at the same place on the inside of the wheel well and stick out 1.5" or so on the outside. 205/60R15's are 3/4" taller and 1/2" narrower than 225/50R15's, so I assume they probably have different potential problems. 215/50R15's might be the best choice. I am anxiously awaiting what Craven finds out, too....

You do have the option of enlarging your wheel well openings and installing aftermarket flares. I use the ones for a 89 Toyota 4x4. Those are the cutout flares that give you the ability to really open up those wells. There are also smaller flares that you can get that would allow slighter trimming work.

Ummm...these are race tires...lol...ment for track/autoxcross use... :-p

I was planning on doing an 05 STi 5 lug swap with the full brake system setup...so I was going to get some 17x12 5x114.3 rims.

I was joking, but I forgot to put the emoticon ;). What ever happened with Craven's tire testing?

Well I got a 205/55/15 Mastercraft(Cooper) mounted on a 15x7 Eagle 028 wheel with 4" backspaceing and tried it on the Brat. I've been trying to upload some pic's. but can't seem too right now. There is a slight clearence problem at the back of the front fender well with the tires turned to the lock, nothing a 3lb. massageing tool won't cure. I believe there wouldn't be a clearence problem at all with a 6" wheel ( Bratenstein). Other than that I think they look pretty good and will work just fine. Hopefully I can get the pic's up soon.

Craven

The pic's are up now in my gallery.

Well I got a 205/55/15 Mastercraft(Cooper) mounted on a 15x7 Eagle 028 wheel with 4" backspaceing and tried it on the Brat. I've been trying to upload some pic's. but can't seem too right now. There is a slight clearence problem at the back of the front fender well with the tires turned to the lock, nothing a 3lb. massageing tool won't cure. I believe there wouldn't be a clearence problem at all with a 6" wheel ( Bratenstein). Other than that I think they look pretty good and will work just fine. Hopefully I can get the pic's up soon.

Craven

The pic's are up now in my gallery http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4682&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500 .

The tire next to the 205 is a 185/70/13.