Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wheel center caps

I have the stock wheels on my 86 Subaru - they are the steel wheels with the 8 'triangles' in them. Thing is - they are missing the center caps. I asked LesSchwab Tires and they said they can't get them and I haven't seen any in the local junk yard. Any ideas where to get them? It's not very attractive to see the end of the axles with a castle nut and cotter pin in the center of the wheel :P They have been spray painted and I have plans to pull them off the car and sand and paint them proper, but I want the center caps before I go ahead on that project.....

Thanks for that warning about tire shops breaking them! I do need to get them balanced, so I will do that before I paint and get center caps

I don't have any caps to take a pic of - just the horridly painted wheels ;) Not even sure what they are supposed to look like - this is my first Subie with this type of wheels...

thanks for the warning Ed - maybe I should look into some aftermarkets that I can trust the balance on then. I does have quite a shake going down the highway that I assumed already was them needing balanced, but if the cannot be balanced properly, then I should be looking for something else. Bummer, I like the style of the spokes!

Not to hi-jack your post but check your email; I'm personally not in favor of the post '85 wagon wheels since they are known to be normally out of balance. I'd try to look for a set of the Motion or 8 hole alloy wheels on the wheels page.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/wheels.html

Ditto on that - they suck, but look cool - had 'em

the "Rally" aluminum alloy wheels are what I switched to - they look good, and they are OEM quality - improved my handeling too - less rotating mass - not had any trouble with balence either