Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time to build a killer motor

well.....i've got a year to do it...but i want to build a "killer motor" for racing next year.

motor is for an '85 RX Sedan...which doubles duty as my rally car

My aim is to go out and show a couple Mazda 323 GTX's how it's done...both GTX's are are making around 145-150 WHP. A GTX and my RX are similar in weight...however i will do some weight reduction on the rx with Plexi windows and that kind of thing

So...my aim is 150-160 whp...but reliable....This engine needs to run at WOT for effectively 90% of the time for 12 KM straight...no letting off. Basically the engine needs to be 100% bullet proof.

I'm thinking of 2 engine set ups, both will use efffectly the same parts.. but one will use an N/A block and pistons, while the other will use a turbo block.

But....parts list includes:

- Copper or MLS head gaskets

- Some mild port/polish work while the heads are off

- WRX or similar Turbo

- WRX or Front mount I/C

- Proper engine management tuned with a wide-band 02 sensor (i have a wideband)

- Custom exhaust manifold

- Larger or additional Injectors

- possibly timing tuned for 110 Octane fuel

If i run "low" compression..it'll run around 17-18 PSI..if "high" compression...probably someplace around 12-13 PSI.

Anyone wish to wager a guess as what kinda #'s this would put down on a dyno? I know what Will's made...and if it made that and was completely bullet proof i'd be happy.

lets see, you could get a p&p on the intake and exhaust, valve job, delta cams , forged pistons, spyder intake manifold with larger throttle, better injectors with possibly a custom fuel rail, adjustable fpr, high flow fuel pump, ms'n' edis with msd ignition components, deadbolt monster td04 turbo, custom header, 2.5-3" exhaust with like a bell mouth downpipe, lightened and high rmp balanced drive shaft, 2-core radiator, fmic, lightened forged piston rods, possibly a light weight balanced crank, ic sprayer, and thats all i can think of for the moment, i might burn a few more brain cells trying to think up some more though. i think that can all be done with the ea82. thats my plan for building up a monster anyways. itsgoing to hurt my wallet.

good luck and keep us posted on what you go with and how much your putting out.

peace

tim c.

lets see, you could get a p&p on the intake and exhaust, valve job, delta cams , forged pistons, spyder intake manifold with larger throttle, better injectors with possibly a custom fuel rail, adjustable fpr, high flow fuel pump, ms'n' edis with msd ignition components, deadbolt monster td04 turbo, custom header, 2.5-3" exhaust with like a bell mouth downpipe, lightened and high rmp balanced drive shaft, 2-core radiator, fmic, lightened forged piston rods, possibly a light weight balanced crank, ic sprayer, and thats all i can think of for the moment, i might burn a few more brain cells trying to think up some more though. i think that can all be done with the ea82. thats my plan for building up a monster anyways. itsgoing to hurt my wallet.

good luck and keep us posted on what you go with and how much your putting out.

peace

tim c.

You forgot something, Tim.

Water injection - great safegaurd against det. It's definitely going into my EA82T. :D

My setup.

Its proven 161 WHP/205 TQ....TWE header, Downpipe...WRX (Now STi) TMIC, GReddy Spec II EBC, an intake...thats it...otherwise its stock and Ive put 10k miles on this, and the Dragon trip last time was most certinly about 20 miles (went thru it about 4 times) of nothing but WOT at high boost. No issues.

AND on top of all that...NO LAG!! :headbang:

You can go to a PnP TD04L13G and not have much lag still...but you will certinly need some engine management and injectors...I imagine you can get about 250 at the wheels on a 13G.

Yeah Will. i know what your running...however....i'm worried about something like that blowing up....especially without engine management and injectors.

How we push the engines is rediculus...they take a serious beating.

i forgot about the cams...however...i'm not positive they do a pile except more the power band up a couple hundred RPM's. We put Delta Cams in a Legacy Turbo, and that's about all it did for it.

I am thinking about a WRX turbo, or the VF-11 (legacy turbo) that i have now...

I didn't venture much above 8 PSI with the VF-11...mainly because i didn't need the power just running on rubber tires....I'm thinking of running studs next year and need more power..

I've been thinking of building a turbo motor from the crank up for awhile now. I think the key to a reliable motor will be to keep the low comp pistons, and completely ditch the stock fuel/ignition system including the subaru fuel rails, for ms 'n edis.

you could make a header jig and make a bunch for the peoples on the boards. would also help to pay for the rx.

Unfortunately the price of TWE headers does not look so appealing to me, when i have the tools and ability to make my own at a fraction of the price.

As far as the head gaskets go, I have been toying with "o-ringing" the block.

That is basically where they counterbore the block and put a meatle wire o-ring into the counter bore. It is impossible to blow a H/G at the cylinder than. The only thing that could happen then is push the head off of the block, but I think with some good heads studs that would not happen.

I know a guy that has done this with a dodge cummins and runs about 90lbs of boost. Before he could only run 45.

i like that idea. i wnder if that will work on an aluminum block

it works on a race fiat 1500cc alloy blocks one of our clients at work come and got some 0.6mm stainless mig wire to use for his block which was being machined for it at the time,it worked perfectly and he hasn't had a problem with blown HG's for 2 years now

1500cc fiat 14.5CR N/A

I think more aggressive cams do more for older engines (ie pre- 16 valves etc) due to the greater compromises made for economy and drivability. Not many newer engines can be improved much with cams. From whats been posted here the EA82T benefits. Mine has 30-70/70-30 durations but I have never driven a stock RX nor is my engine well set up yet (ignition or fuel issues - not sure. Sometimes runs sweet, othertimes crap)

Me too. I'm trying to turbo an NA EA82.

I'm planning on using EA82T plumbing, USDM WRX IC, or maybe an old AWIC if I can find one.

Then, add water injection, boost controller, VF11 or VF7, maybe even a VF8.

I'm going to need an AFC to prevent busted pistons, I know, but the more safegaurds the better. Anyone have anything on this MS&EDIS? I'm too lazy to search right now. ;)

... Anyone have anything on this MS&EDIS? I'm too lazy to search right now...

Oddcomp is running it, and I believe shadow also knows tech stuff. I have MegaSquirt pages bookmarked... somewheres. :rolleyes:

MegaSquirt is the fuel management portion of the system, and uses a Motorola 68000-series micro as its processor. It does not use the MAF, but rather a MAP sensor onboard. Very tunable/configurable.

EDIS is an adaptation of the Ford Electronic Distributorless Ignition System. It uses a crank-mounted reluctor ring and sensor to trigger a coil-pack (one coil output per cylinder) in a wasted-spark manner.

MS and its variants are offered in kit form (around $200), and some people are marketing turnkey systems (2-3 times as much).