Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom Interior Lighting

Now apart from NOS stickers, we all know that cool lighting can also give you a HP boost. I've been thinking about adding a cold cathode tube or two to my interior, such as below the glove compartment, trunk, below the front seats, etc. Now I stole a rear wiper switch off a Loyale wagon that I plan on jury-rigging to the circuit. The tubes I'm buying are ones initially intended for PC cases, so they run off of 12V.

I would like to know if anyone has a schematic or is aware of what the different wires leading to the wiper switch are (positive, ground, etc.) and what 12V source I should be tapping into. I think using cigarette lighter adapters is severely non-phat and would like to splice into a line behind the console.

And, of course, I'd like to know if anyone has ever attempted this sort of thing themselves. I know most of you like keeping your rides stock or pimp them out for some heavy muddin', but I think we all have a little ricer within us. :cool:

well its most is removed now but at one point i had..

red leds in all the heater vents and hiddden varios spots in the dash, tubes underneath the front seats, and one 36" tube underneath the rear seat..

i just ran my own power wire from the battery to all the switches in my kick panel

Now apart from NOS stickers, we all know that cool lighting can also give you a HP boost. I've been thinking about adding a cold cathode tube or two to my interior, such as below the glove compartment, trunk, below the front seats, etc. Now I stole a rear wiper switch off a Loyale wagon that I plan on jury-rigging to the circuit. The tubes I'm buying are ones initially intended for PC cases, so they run off of 12V.

I would like to know if anyone has a schematic or is aware of what the different wires leading to the wiper switch are (positive, ground, etc.) and what 12V source I should be tapping into. I think using cigarette lighter adapters is severely non-phat and would like to splice into a line behind the console.

And, of course, I'd like to know if anyone has ever attempted this sort of thing themselves. I know most of you like keeping your rides stock or pimp them out for some heavy muddin', but I think we all have a little ricer within us. :cool:

My lifted DL I put two 12" blue cold cathode tubes. These were for in a computer so they run on 12 volts. I sell them in my shop for like $10. I put on behind the rearview mirror to the windshield with dbl sided tape and teh other in the back hatch area with two screws. I ran power wire along the edge of the headliner so it was hidden and rigged everything to the door light switch. Lit the whole car up blue with the door open. :) These also could be set to flash with the stereo witht eh included selector boxes.

hmmmm, where should I be drilling the hole in the firewall? what if I need a line to an external amplifier as well? should I use some sort of grommets to seal around the hole?

open your hood

look on the drivers side beteween the strut top and wiper cowl

there's allready a nice big hole with gromet to run amplifier, led, what ever power wires from the battery