Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can't get the stinkin' main seal out - OUT!! now idle prob

Got a puller and got the timing gears off the crank, but now I can't for the life of me get the front seal out. I see the seal has a bunch of divits on the front face - is there a special tool for doing this? Or should I just keep digging and prying and hope I don't put a big scratch in the crank or block? ARGH HELP!!:banghead:

I've never tried this trick and I would be really careful about it, but I've heard this works: Drill a small hole in the seal and thread a screw into the hole. Pull the seal out with the screw.

Yeah, I have heard that too many times - but have never tried it. Remember that aluminium is like butter under a drill bit - one slip and you will have a leaky seal for life.

I would probably soak it in Liquid Wrench or some other penatrent - I don't like the idea of drilling around something that delicate.

Main Seal? Phishy what are you up to? Is this on the turbo?

Yup on the EA82T. She's got a serious leak from the main seal. Should be the last thing to get her all good to go (I hope like hell).

Maybe I'll try the drill if no other ideas come along.....???

Yup on the EA82T. She's got a serious leak from the main seal. Should be the last thing to get her all good to go (I hope like hell).

You've really put some time in on this car eh. It'll be worth it just remind yourself that an hour at three point motors is worth $100 plus whatever they say is screwed up.

The best way I have found to get the seals out is with a small automotive pick.

I have a snap on set that has 3 picks.. one is just a small straight point, the other has a little wave and the third is a small pointed hook.. I use the straight one and tap a small hole into the seal. The use the hooked one to pull it out.

You've really put some time in on this car eh. It'll be worth it just remind yourself that an hour at three point motors is worth $100 plus whatever they say is screwed up.

True enough. Oh well, it's a labour of love yada yada yada...

I don't think penetrating oil will do much considering I had oil droplets spraying out from the seal when I reved it:lol:

I have already broken a pick off in the seal. Might try another stronger one if I can get my hands on one. Otherwise out comes the rad and in goes the drill...

wish me luck:drunk:

True enough. Oh well, it's a labour of love yada yada yada...

I don't think penetrating oil will do much considering I had oil droplets spraying out from the seal when I reved it:lol:

I have already broken a pick off in the seal. Might try another stronger one if I can get my hands on one. Otherwise out comes the rad and in goes the drill...

wish me luck:drunk:

What, you mean it is just not "simply sliding out"?? Hopefully this doesn't turn into another "intake-like" project...

i favor a pick, i can use the curved one to slide it under the seal lip and pull it out, the pick catches on the inside of the steel. sometimes i will use a small screwdriver but im careful about what im prying against, technique

im with snowman the screw into the seal trick has always worked good for me. I dont evin pre drill a hole. just use a nice pointy screw and drive it in. they grip best that way. then they can be pryed out or I use a adaptor on my small snap on slide hammer that hooks the screw and pops it out.

any luck??

Popped her out with the drill and screw trick. Worked like a charm:banana:

Thanks for the tip gents:drunk:

Now she runs great and doesn't throw oil all over the inside of the hood (it really was that bad from the main seal).

Only prob left is the idle - she idles fine high when I first start it, then once it starts to get warm (after 30 secs or so - not fully warm) the idle starts to bounce slowly up and down between about 800 - 1600 rpm. Also when I start it warm, the idle is way low. I'm thinkin IAC. How do I test it properly without getting a new one?

cheers

All this fuss on to remove the saels, Hmm.......................Maybe a seal puller would work.

At least thats what i used, Makes sence to me, pull-seal, Seal puller.

Then again that could just be me.

~CHIM~

All this fuss on to remove the saels, Hmm.......................Maybe a seal puller would work.

At least thats what i used, Makes sence to me, pull-seal, Seal puller.

Then again that could just be me.

~CHIM~

he already got it out. (screw method)

the seal puller you may be thinking of is not designed to pull seals when there is still a shaft in the way. they are designed more for wheel bearing seals and things of that nature. if you use it on a crank/cam seal ect. you risk scratching the shaft up with the tool.

Sounds like the AIC is doing its job because you get high idle when the car is cold.

The engine is trying to compensate for unmetered air from somewhere.

My Guess.

Jay

I agree. Phishy listen for vac leaks there must be a connector loose somewhere, a vac guage would be a big help PM your addy again and I'll send down my vac tester on the bus if you want.

he already got it out. (screw method)

the seal puller you may be thinking of is not designed to pull seals when there is still a shaft in the way. they are designed more for wheel bearing seals and things of that nature. if you use it on a crank/cam seal ect. you risk scratching the shaft up with the tool.

I have used a seal puller several times on EA 71/81/82 motors and they have all come out with no hint of damaging anything, with all tools i think it's comon sence to be carfull.

Anyway the pullers work great on the motor seals, thats there intension.

~CHIM~

I have used a seal puller several times on EA 71/81/82 motors and they have all come out with no hint of damaging anything, with all tools i think it's comon sence to be carfull.

Anyway the pullers work great on the motor seals, thats there intension.

~CHIM~

to each his(or her) own.

its not like I do this for a living as a journyman level mechanic with 9 years of schooling from two differnent schools. so I will just politly disagree.

yes they may be used to remove the seals in question if one is verry carfull but there are other methods that are a bit safer and work well.

I agree. Phishy listen for vac leaks there must be a connector loose somewhere, a vac guage would be a big help PM your addy again and I'll send down my vac tester on the bus if you want.

I'm gunna giver a good look over this weekend (especially all vac lines). Thanks for the offer Vanislru, but I think I'll just go out and buy a vac guage - definitely a good tool to have anyway.

I'll let ya know how it goes...

I'm gunna giver a good look over this weekend (especially all vac lines). Thanks for the offer Vanislru, but I think I'll just go out and buy a vac guage - definitely a good tool to have anyway.

I'll let ya know how it goes...

If you go to crappy tire they can order you in a Autometer gauge that shows vac and boost, nice to know what's going on while you're out driving around.