Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to bypass neutral safety switch

I got a great tip from a member on splicing the fat wires at the shifter in my 85 gl wagon, which just got a 5 sp in place of a shot auto. It works. But do I just Leave it spliced, or will that drain the battery?

I'm new to Soobs, and I know it shows.

Also, when I first got it running after the swap this morning, I had temp gauge and voltmeter. They suddently quit on me. Whats up with that?

One last thing, I've read here that a EA 82 is supposed to sound like a can of marbles being shaken. This is a suposedly rebuilt motor, and that might be true as it has zero leaks, but it sound like a can of BIG marbles, being shaken REALLY REALLY hard. Scares. But it's not knocking like no oil or bad rod or bearing or like that, if you see what I mean. It's so hard to describe sounds with words.

Oh, and I've got tail or brake lights on all the time and wonder if I did something wrong when installing the pedal box from the manual.

Pyro

You sure you didn't bump the switch on top of the steering column? That'll leave the tail lights and marker lights on.

Leaving the wires spliced has no adverse effects. Drove my car for over six months like that with no battery drain.

You sure you didn't bump the switch on top of the steering column? That'll leave the tail lights and marker lights on.

Leaving the wires spliced has no adverse effects. Drove my car for over six months like that with no battery drain.

What switch do you mean? You mean the emergency flashers? I don't get it.

And thanks on the splice job. I intend to get the neutral safety switch hooked up eventualy, when I have time to figure it out. (provided I CAN figure it out)

Pyro

The rocker switch mounted on top of the steering column...It activates markers.

What switch do you mean? You mean the emergency flashers? I don't get it.

And thanks on the splice job. I intend to get the neutral safety switch hooked up eventualy, when I have time to figure it out. (provided I CAN figure it out)

Pyro

The rocker switch mounted on top of the steering column...It activates markers.

NOT ON AN 85 OR 86 -

The 1985 and 1986 models have a COMPLETELY different control layout from later ones - his battery drain is coming from something other than the lights, b/c the switch system is a bit more comprehensive on those cars, and the headlights/markerlights are controlled by a switch on the dash in the same place as the late model hazard lights.

In turn, the hazard switch is on the top of the steering column, where the parking light switch is on later cars.

Also, when I first got it running after the swap this morning, I had temp gauge and voltmeter. They suddently quit on me. Whats up with that?

You probably blew a fuse - check them first, grounds/senders second.

One last thing, I've read here that a EA 82 is supposed to sound like a can of marbles being shaken. This is a suposedly rebuilt motor, and that might be true as it has zero leaks, but it sound like a can of BIG marbles, being shaken REALLY REALLY hard. Scares. But it's not knocking like no oil or bad rod or bearing or like that, if you see what I mean. It's so hard to describe sounds with words.

That is the classic TOD (tick of death) - probably either indadiquate oil pressure, too light an oil (10w-30 is proper for these engines), or just breaking in new engine/engine that has sat for a while.

Oh, and I've got tail or brake lights on all the time and wonder if I did something wrong when installing the pedal box from the manual.

You probably did mess up with the pedal box. The inhibitor switch circuits are only engaged when the ignition is on - leave them spliced. However - make sure that your headlight switch is in the "Off" position, if it is too far to the left, your marker lights will be on.

didnt even know the 85 even had the neutral start switch, i guess maybe the original owner of mine must have disconnected it. as for all the noises are you trying to run it with a dead battery with jump starting it to get it runnning? i had done that after i put my motor in my 85 and it was sounding like rods knocking and everything else, as soon as a bought a brand new battery and put it on all the noises stopped and it runs completely quiet now. so i would say a fresh battery and see how it does