Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi Carb Questions

Good Morning,

I have just done an EA81 engine swap into my81 wagon and had problems with the carb. It was suggested on here to use some carb cleaner, and it worked ok for a couple of days. Now it's running rough again so I decided to give it another hit with the carb cleaner. I know you shouldn't spray around the carb with engine running ( have fire extinguisher handy ) but when I do the idle increases. Does this indicate a leak ? All feedback welcome :-\

It sounds like you may have a vacuum leak, which would cause it to run roughly. What kind of shape is the carb in? Recently rebuilt? I had pretty good luck on my old EA81 with taking the top of the carb off, shooting cleaner in every hole it could go in, and putting it back together. I'd throw in a new accelerator pump and top gasket too.

I have no idea if the carb has been serviced, but it does have this orange sealer on two of the screws ! And the top gasket dosn't look too good. Looks like a re-build ? or will I try the top off clean, and new gasket ?

Eww, orange sealer on carbs is generally not cool. I'd yank the top off and look at it to see what kind of shape everything's in.

Just be sure you don't let anything fall down the throat!!

I agree with Snowman - orange sealer is a BAD omen - it means someone tried to rebuild the carb, and failed