Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st post, need help, head gasket

Hello all. Just picked up a 91 loyale 4wd 1.8. The car is very clean and runs well. Got it home and it's leaking oil from the passenger side head. Looks like the gasket is blown out. If your under her, it's the aft lower corner of the head. How big of job is this to replace the gasket? I call a shop and they want $600 to do it. then he told me I would be better off getting a used engine for what it would cost to change out the head gasket. What do you guys think?

Its normal for the head gasket to leak oil. As long as its not dripping badly...or drip drip every second, it will be fine....however, if the cam case/valve covers are leaking, that is not too bad of a job to do...

The dealer would be best to take it to...as there is a MUCH less chance of things messing up....

It's most likely not the head gasket, but the cam cover seal. There's a small o-ring that seals a high pressure oil passage (provides oil for the lash adjusters & spraybar), and it gets old and stops sealing, leading to oil leaks.

There's a webpage that details fixing it, and I can't find it right now. It's really not too bad... I did it in a few hours on my Subaru. You have to pull the passenger's side cam cover off (leaving the cylinder head on), replace a little $0.50 o-ring, and put things back together.

-=Russ=-

Hello all. Just picked up a 91 loyale 4wd 1.8. The car is very clean and runs well. Got it home and it's leaking oil from the passenger side head. Looks like the gasket is blown out. If your under her, it's the aft lower corner of the head. How big of job is this to replace the gasket? I call a shop and they want $600 to do it. then he told me I would be better off getting a used engine for what it would cost to change out the head gasket. What do you guys think?
I'd clean it up and run it to determine how much iol you are leaking and from where. Start with cam cover seals and "o" ring. They are cheap and easy. Even if it's your H.G.,do a comp. test to verify and if you are any way mech. inclined and have the time/tools, do it yourself. The pass. side is easier access than D.S., and no disty. Between the cash you save and the quality time spent with your sub. it will be an awsome experience. Don't forget...youre not in it alone!

J.W.