Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think i figured out a cheap MAF adapter for highflow filter!

(pics will come later) (and ill update later as well)

Objective: Make MAF adapter for cheap, being able to use a high-flow filter of choice AND! be able to take it off and hook it back up to the stock airbox (if you needed to sell your soob or something like that.. (pass visual inspection on an I/M test, etc.)

Reason Why I chose the Injector Cap: Simple, its the same size hole for the stock subaru intake.. and, for those of you that dont know how to weld, you wont have to weld 2 things together (round peice to square plate).. its already done for you.

Parts involved...

1.Stock MAF

2.Injector Cap from throttle body (top peice that intake hooks onto the motor), I'm not sure of the price on these if you dont have one, I had a spare engine with one of these

3.Drill and Drill Bit(s) (5/32" pilot hole, 13/64" (size of injector cap holes)) (i drilled a pilot hole to make sure my holes would clear) they did on the first two so i didnt drill pilot holes on the last 2.

4. Longer Screws and Nuts to fit - since the injector caps "nuts" are on a non-removable plate, you will need to get nuts to fit the stock screws (keep these screws as reference).. you will need about 1/4" - 3/8" longer screws to mount the Injector Cap

What you gotta do!

First!!! Take 2 seconds to take the dang MAF out of the housing so you dont accidentally mess it up or something..

Basically, the Injector Cap Plate is BEARLY gonna fit to the MAF Plate.. Your gonna have to work it right to where you get approx 1/16" inch (i know im cuttin it short, but i havent gotten to a gasket idea yet, so bare with me)..

Anyway, you'll have only about 1/16" inch each way to play with... once you get it to where you have no spaces or gaps between the two, mark around the edge with a pen or something, and then clamp it together... using channel locks or whatever (i didnt have a vice)

Drill through the MAF using the injector plate as a guide.. (i know it comes very close, but once you drill through, you'll be just fine) (it was so close i used the 5/32" inch drill bit first to check the clearance on the backside)

Then, You take it apart, this is where you have to cut the center section out of the injector cap plate.. use a hacksaw blade or something, and do it by hand, then dremel it smooth on the inside...

This is where you'll need the 1/4" to 3/8" longer screws with nuts to fit to hook the two together.. if you try to use the stock screws that held the injector cap to the throttle body, youll quickly find out why they wont work.

Like I mentioned before, I havent gotten to the gasket part yet, it might not be a bad idea to put a gasket inbetween the injector plate and MAF since there is only about 1/16" of freeplay..

Once I get this completely done, I'll have pics posted of the whole process.. I hope you've gotten as excited about this MAF adapter as i did/am..

Thanks for reading,

Incognito.

P.S. - if i missed anything, dont hesistate to say something, ill correct as needed, thanks.