Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. Cali and AZ 4x4 club, Temp. Web Page up and running

Rooinater

Ok i'm going to be stationed at Yuma, AZ, for 4 years. dead center of these 2 areas. i am attempting to put together a small 4x4 club. all who are interested please tell me.

The club will be family oriented.

goals:

to promote subaru 4x4ing and other forms of wheeling.

regular 4x4 outings and get togethers.

cluster a group of help so that the southwestern wheelers (but not limited to the southwest, the whole west side of the country is included) will have a network to get there vehicles modified and fixed.

This club won't be just open to subaru's but all vehicles. preferably subaru but not mandatory.

different degree of difficulty trail runs, certain equipment requirments will be mandatory for some trail runs.

Club Name at the moment would be:

West Coast Stompers

theres plenty of wheeling that i know of from LA down. depending on how mod'ed out your car is, or willing to modify. is how difficult of trails we can run. mine hopfully soon will have the whole drivetrain and lift revamped bigger and badder!

how far south are you willing to travel?

in the next several months i might have a lift and full set of tires and rims for sell too if you are interested? depending on how this next series of mods go.

oh god if i could i would! but the powers that be don't like me i guess. :( but i'll get 4 day weekends off and can trek up there for 2 days of wheeling! and take leave too. but for now i gotta organize so i can wheel the hardcore and intermediate here in az and So Cal.

Yeah, when the weather gets wet, the ORV park at hollister insane..There's mud bogs, obstacle courses, rock crawling courses, trails, hills, jumps! and a man-made snorkel zone!!

hey brian, you should roll down here on a day trip in a couple months after it rains, and see how your ea81 does...

Roo - what kind of rims will you be selling? I'm looking for a set of black or white 6-lug steel alloys, the standard American Racing off-road rim. 15X8

but yo, It'll be awhile before I'll have my rig ready ...but when it is, it'll be schweet!:banana:

i don't know how large of tires you'll want. but they are only 27x9.5" super swamper ssr's on 14"pug steel rims. i just purchased them and by the time i sell them they'll only have about 1600 miles on them. brand spankin' new tires.

i'm doing a complete revamp of my car and a lot larger wheels and tires are coming with it.

I'm in Orange county, but I get out to the desert areas frequently. Blythe, CA, which is not too far from you (on the border) is a great area.....lots of trails and dirt rds around there. Needles, too. I dont' know the AZ side trails nearly as well. I only have the WRX right now, as I recently gave the 86 to my son. But, I take that out there too. Currently shopping for an 80-84 hatch or wagon to build up just for trails and dirt.

When are you moving down?

One suggestion if I may: "Stompers" sounds a tad Jeepish to me. Are you open to talking about that at all?

yeah, I'll be goin' bigger than that when all's said & done, which I'm guessing will be a year from now. for now it's just the loyale with pug alloys and Dayton SR tires and no mods cept rear discs, so i wont have any "Stomper" abilities for awhile, but you'd be surprised where a lack of fear, and some practice will get you in a bone stock 4x4. roo, you gotta come up to the hollister orv park this fall, we should get a little cali meet together, and maybe some oregon, or even washington boys can come down too... :bday: :clap:

i am a washington boy, i'm not ken, eric or john, i've been a hatch Patrol member for about 2 years! and have wheeled along side them many times. the only reason i'm not there right now and will be in yuma is because i'm in the marine corp now. after i get out i'm going back to washington. not to mention i'm hosting the stomp and romp run up there at evan's creek in 12 days!

i picked west coast so that i can include all my friends in washington and every one on this side of the country.

the reason i picked stompers is because if i remember right, the little subaru toys ken and eric have are called stompers. so i was keeping it subaru. but if we get a few together and they don't like that name for the club i'm starting. then yes it can be negotiated. with that name i was making sure, i wasn't illudinng to it being only one style of subaru. and open to other makes and models if need be.

trust me i knowwhat a stock suby and no fear can do. i've been there. what are you doing to your car storm trooper. i'd tell you what i'm doing to mine. but at the moment i'm keeping it on the DL. till it comes out of the shop.

i'be driving down on the 22nd of sept and arriving at yuma on the 24th

OK, I get the stomper name thing now. I'm good with that, knowing it has a scoob origin. It wouldnt have been a big deal, anyway. Let us know after you get settled in, and get to start planning an outing. Hopefully I'll have a new rig by then. If not I'll just have to come in the WRX, or bring my neighbor in the Suzuki. My email is in my profile. Good luck on the trip down here!

I know you're one of the old school hp guys, i was saying it would be cool to have some of the guys come down where yoiu're from and tear up some cali. spots, as there are some cool places too. I just won't be able to claim "Stomper" status in a stock car, so I'll have to just use balls where bigger wheels aren't, till I finish the project i am yet to start :brolleye: , that;s all. I wasn't saying nothin bout your experience, as I am sure you have plenty of it..

Project not started yet, but it will involve gutting the 1600, and dropping in an EA-81 decked out for max breathing and low-end. Toyota 6-lug w/ black Pacer rims wrapped in 30"+ mudders is my goal...I need some serious help on suspension mods, as I am clueless, maybe you could give me some advice. I am looking for something a bit x-treme as this project car will never see the concrete.

stock car no stomper status. noway!! the membership i'll set up is similar to the way the HP has it. you complete a run with me and your in.

as for suspension mods....

i'm having someone redo my suspension a few inches taller :brow: and 33" wrangler M/TR tires on 15x8 6 lug rims. have someone who is very knowledgeable about fabrication help or build your suspension otherwise it's not worth it. on subaru's i don't like to personally fabricate the suspension. mainly because it's blocks and supports. everything else to the car i can help you fab or do.

with subaru axles you don't want much suspension lift. just use the adjustable suspension for suspension lift. and then yes the rest is body lift. but i'm going with the divorced t-case option. and that'll suck my tranny and engine back into original position. now if you were to put solid axles under there then you could suspension lift away!

basically what i'm doing is having it lifted high enough that when i suck the tranny and engine back in the original postion against the body. i can fit another rear diff under the tranny. i'll have that mounted where the tranny would be if it was a regular body lift. that way no drive axle angle is changed. plus i can change out the gear ratios to a 4.11 or 4.44 front and rear. then for power distrubition. it'll come out of the rear of the tranny onto a short driveline to a datsun t-case. then from there to the front and rear diffs. wa la 2 low ranges and a final crawl between 50:1 and 65:1.

it'll be about a 10 to 12 inch lift. similar to mudrat's beast that he took to the rubicon. you could do it with a 6" lift like lumpycam did.

then i'm going to an ea-81 motor and power steering. and 31 to 33 inch tall wrangler MT/R tires.

!!UPDATE!! the web page is here.

i know this is a very rudimentary web page. but i'll be putting it on it's own server hopefully in the next couple months i'll revamp it and load a lot of pictures too. as soon i pick up the software from brian.

West Coast Stompers Web Page

tell me what you think. just remember this is a rudimentary beggining.

I didn't think the suspension lifts would be very good for the driveline, unless you nicknamed your rig "CVSnapper"! Havin' a hard time seeing how you'll get the front diff. ratios lower without actually cracking the tranny case and swappin' gears. Would you mind e-mailing me or letting me in on how this 10-12" lift can be achieved?

BTW- members should be admitted according to their ability to complete the Hollister ORV off-road obstacle couse!! :brow::D

I was half kidding, but it would be cool, as it is a straight-up course, with many different aspects of off-road application. Another cool place we could go is the "Sand Highway" at Pismo Beach, Cali...that's closer to LA in San Luis Obispo county... That place is AWESOME...there's dunes galore, comp hills, all kinds of sand craziness!! I took my stock soob out there, just had to air down a bit, and had a blast!! Being in Cali, we are privvy to the most diverse of terrain...we got snow courses, mud trails, dunes, desert, redwood forest trails...etc..

Jared, I think the Subaru communtiy can have a great influence in this section of the country, as there are many off-road enthusiasts in cali, and so much good roading to do around here..plus with the economy the way it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few heads ditch the Jeeps for a old beater hatch!!

:cool:

Anyway...keep up the motivation, and if you need any help getting this club together, I'm more than willing to make it a reality...

all help will be very much appreciated. i just joined on arizona backcountry 4x4 club on the internet. they all want to see my car in action. so i might make a run with them begining of november. To have a guide on these arizona trails.

personally i can't wait to start coaming so cal and arizona. i have a guide book for both areas with lots of trails (150) from easy to extreme. so we will be running like mad when i get down there before and after my new lift.

But after i get my big lift i think i won't be sanding too much do to being to top heavy!! and the lower gears for crawlin'

if you want to go to AZ the first weekend or second weekend i'll be trying to meet up with this AZ backcountry club. it'd be a long drive for you, but if you can make it it'd be sweet!!

hopefully i can make a cali run in november before my car goes under the knife!!!

Can't wait the anticipation is killing me!! :banana::banana::drunk::headbang::brow: