Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 motor to a 1997 outback

dk0018

I have a Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon 1997... Motor went south. I was looking at putting a new motor into the one I have. I found a 2000 Outback Motor with all the goodies included for 1950.00 Not bad 13k miles., Trans.

My question is: Can I put this motor 2000 motor into my 1997 2.5

the 2000 motor, is that the EJ25? i think in 2001 they stopped putting EJ22's in subies, it should bolt up no prob, the question is the engine wiring harnesses, the 1996-1999 is one era were it is mostly compatible, 2000-2004 is another era of cars, wiring might be different, if it is, no fear, just swap the 1997 engine harness off the toast motor onto the 2000 motor, might have to change throttle bodies or throttle pos. sensor or whathaveyou, but in theory it should be swappable. but dont leave any holes in anything i.e. intake manifold and such. you will have the take the intake manifolds off both motors to swpa the engine harnesses, not a big deal really, just make sure nothing gets in the heads while the intake is off, intake gaskets should be ok, if you want to grab yourself some new ones, dont go to dealer, go to schucks or knetchs or someplace, should be fine. hope this helps man.

~Josh~

I talked to some guys from "all foreign motors" in pittsburgh and they were saying that the 2000 motors would only fit into the 2000 and up and the only thing that will fit in the 97 is the 97 motor.. so now im very confused. I don't have the cash to just try it out... :(

Your idea sounds like it would work fine though.

i can tell you right now, they are full of S**T, no way, the bellhousings are the same for all EJ series motors, from 1990-2005, they all mate up, if you use generations as a gauge, it will be almost foolproof. just follow my very brief outline as posted before, if you hav e any other questions, you have about 7k people here that can give you help, might want to have a backup car just in case.

~Josh~

• 3 weeks later...

Practically every Subaru part mates up to practically every ther part. You will be fine with your '00 engine, 90% sure. Subaru did make changes to the engines over time, but when it comes to physical mounting and stuff, it's all the same. From '97 to '00, they've done headgasket revisions, gone from a DOHC head to an SOHC head (the SOHC's better anyway; flows better and the torque comes on lower), and for one or two years ('98 and '99) tried adding two more bolts to the bellhousing to better secure the tranny. I seem to recall that they converted from a MAF to a MAP in '00, so you'd need a MAP sensor and an '00 ECU. That may have been in '01, though. Just do your homework. I suggest poking around NASIOC some. I've learned mostly everything I know about Subarus from there or stuff linked there.

First ????? Does your 97 have the 2.5 Motor....?

If so Buy the 2000 motor and Stuff it in...It will work fine....But as Ballitch said unbolt your 97 intake and Use it on the 00 Motor....Very simple swap....Get a book if you need, but if you are mechanical at all, you will see how simple the intake swap is.....Just go slow....:)

If you have the 2.2 motor , I'd stick with finding any Generation 2.2 instead......

Then there are no issues....

I've done similar swaps with Gen one 2.2 to Gen-2 and Gen-3 2.2 before with no issues....I believe there is a Width difference between 2.2's and 2.5's, so You can't bolt your 2.2 intake on the New 2.5 if you are running a 2.2.....??

Also Running a 97 2.2 Intake on a 95 1.8 Impreza Motor with no Issues......:) in My personal Ride.....

Good Luck, John