Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing EA81/EA82+5MT with EJ20T+4EAT?

What is needed to replace EA81 or EA82 engined car that has 5MT gearbox with EJ20T engine and 4EAT gearbox?

Is it even possible to EA81+5MT car?

How much is the size of the automatic gearbox bigger than manual?

And how about the gear ratios?

A lot of patience - I know that the engine should (maybe) fit (I know the 2.2L (EJ22) does)

The tranny may be a different story - I know your ratios will be WAY off b/c the EA82 cars have 13" wheels - and EJ20T's have something like 15" - you will need to swap your rear diff too

tranny size will be very different - I don't know if it will fit without widening something

It is probably better to try it in an EA82 car than an EA81 b/c there would be a LOT more room for the engine/tranny

possible yes, but it will require a LOT of work

and... some of the EJ cars were also 3.9, or 4.11 or ..... there are many different configs out there, so check the donor car you get the tranny from, and just make sure you get the matching diff!

the 4EAT will not fit in any EA MT car without widening of the tunnel.. if you look at a 4EAT and a 5MT of any kind side by side, you will see why.. the 4EAT is huge!

as for the engines, EJ22 and EJ18 first gen, will fit in both EA81 and EA82 bodys- I had an EJ22 in a 1980 body, mudrat has a EJ18 in a 86 ea81 hatchback, and corky made an RX (EA82T body) with an EJ20T and 5MT....

so it can be done, you just need to research all the things needed to be done and collect all your parts you need before the conversion :D