Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T head question

My 89 Gl10 has a blown head gasket,right side. I am worried that when I pull the head this weekend I am going to find the usual crack that you all seem to talk about. Is it fixable or still usable? Also, I have a good ea82t engine from a 87 gl10 wagon. Will the heads from it work on the 89?

I don't mess with turbos much (well really not at all) - but

given the year of your car (1989), you may have the latest series of heads, which are least prone to cracking, so you will probably be OK

The only way to find out is to pull 'em

BTW - there is a graphic somewhere in the other info section on this page that shows how to tell the difft head stages apart - stage III should have the EA82 in a box on the bottom of the head near the exhaust pipe if I am correct ...

If they are original heads, they run about a 75% chance of being gen III heads on the 89 (Based on my experience)

The 87 will have gen II

You can use either heads on either motor.

It is very likely that the 89 and 87 heads have the silly little cracks between the valves. I have only seen 2 sets of EA82T heads that didn't have them.. and both sets were still shiny and fresh out of the box.

If they are original heads, they run about a 75% chance of being gen III heads on the 89 (Based on my experience)

The 87 will have gen II

You can use either heads on either motor.

It is very likely that the 89 and 87 heads have the silly little cracks between the valves. I have only seen 2 sets of EA82T heads that didn't have them.. and both sets were still shiny and fresh out of the box.

Do the gen III have the same cracking issues?

I am thinking about installing a MPFI n/a setup (XT 87-later) at some point, and I was wondering, just in case I have trouble finding MPFI heads

The crack that's the big issue with the EA82T heads it the one that forms where the exhaust runners converge. When you get a crack there, coolant will begin to start dripping from the crack.

The only N/A heads that come close to turbo heads are the ones from a MPFI engine. The Left head is the same except some didn't have the hole tapped for the EGR tube. The Right head would need to be modified to accept the oil return line from the turbo. Besides the non-turbo XTs, the MPFI engine could also be found in a 2wd GL10

When you have the heads out, go ahead and have them pressure checked at a machine shop. They can be welded and it's not that expensive.

23RX_rebuild_187-med.jpg

All but one cylinder on my car had small cracks but turned out OK. Had the deck trued and three angle valve job. Less than 100.00. No cracks at the exhaust runners though.

23RX_rebuild_248-med.jpg

I wouldn't sweat them until you see them. If it makes you feel any better, I had a parts engine that got hot enough to make the timing belt cover sag over the bolts and the heads were OK.

Hope your heads turn out healthy as well.

regards,

Jay

Jay