Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 fast idle

Need a bit of advise from the experts, on the EA82 Hitachi carb how do you adjust the fast idle when motor cold. Mine starts straight up then drops to slow idle whereas before it would fast idle then gradually drop down as the motor warmed up. Have checked the choke butterfly and is fully closed when cold and gradually opens as warm up progresses but no fast idle. Have run choke adjustment back and foreward to no avail.. Any hints would be great before it gets winter here..

Need a bit of advise from the experts, on the EA82 Hitachi carb how do you adjust the fast idle when motor cold. Mine starts straight up then drops to slow idle whereas before it would fast idle then gradually drop down as the motor warmed up. Have checked the choke butterfly and is fully closed when cold and gradually opens as warm up progresses but no fast idle. Have run choke adjustment back and foreward to no avail.. Any hints would be great before it gets winter here..

yea, I want to know about fast idle too. But mine works, it's just that it's too fast at first. Steps down after a while, like it's sposed too, but starts out too fast.

So yea, how do you adjust fast idle?

Hayes manual is speachless on this. Boogers.

pyro

yea, I want to know about fast idle too. But mine works, it's just that it's too fast at first. Steps down after a while, like it's sposed too, but starts out too fast.

So yea, how do you adjust fast idle?

Hayes manual is speachless on this. Boogers.

pyro

Boogers, after much fiddleing ,as I had an "expert" try to find an idle problem that I found myself, my fast idle screw took about eight turns clockwise to get fast idle under choke, then it only seems to need a turn anti or clockwise to adjust the fast idle. So may I suggest you back off the fast idle adjustment maybe one turn as a start ie;anti clockwise, and work from there, seems you have to adjust then find result when next cold start. It caught me out as I had turned that adjustment several turns with no result, then it came good after what I thought was an extreme adjustment.. See if you can hold the throttle closed while you turn the adjustment, you get to it from the rear of the carby, below where the throttle cable attaches to the carby. Hope that helps.. lang

I dunno man, my car since it was brand new in 86, idled low for the first 15 to 30 seconds before the high idle came on. And then as the engine warmed up the idle went up until 3500 rpms.

Then I'd have to go outside and kick the throttle down.