Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 spd D/R swap

I'm looking to swap in a 5 spd D/R into my 87 Std Hatch. The car originally has a EA81 motor with a 4 spd S/R. I got a the new tranny/t-case from a 85 wagon with an EA82. Just wondering which parts I need from which car to perform this successfully.

Anyone interested in a 4 spd S/R? I got one.

You'll need the flywheel from the donor car also (I think). Linkage from your car can be modified to allow the inside of the car to appear "stock." Check with Jerry (bratsarus1) who has done more of these mods than anyone I know. The one piece driveshaft is considerably nicer in my Brat than the two piece version that came off the donor car, but it's not necessary to make it work; it can always be added later.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to build this car on a budget (like

$0) so hopefully the parts I have will all work.

Also is there any way to tell what the differential gears are in the tranny or rear end, without pulling them apart? I want to make sure they are the same so that they match whats in there.

Yep. check with Jerry, he'll tell you what you need to do it right! but if you're going to do it for $0 it's not going to be right, if you just off road the vehicle and don't care about vibration that's a whole different story, otherwise you need a E82 clutch disc is all on the engine tranny mate up with the E82 throwout fork and bearing, the cross member is completely different Jerry will sell you a modified kit to do that and keep your stock shift setup, I used the E82 shifter and modified my interior with that stuff. I also used both cross members and cut them and mated them, it is a clean job, I also took the backet with the return spring and cut it and bolted the tab to the engine were it was not good to ride on the pressure plate if you want it to last, the electric plug for the lights was cut off a 4 speed and spliced cleanly to plug into the stock E81, This is on a 1985 brat. There is two distinict avenues of thought on the board about this, just like at any race track or any car stuff. But that's what I think.:-)

I put a d/r 5spd out of a loyale or something into my car, it actually turned out to be a 3.7 final so not ALL 5sp transaxles are the same. Easy fix though, I just put in the very common 3.7 lsd rear diff (which Rocks!).

EA82 flywheel

EA82 clutch disc

EA82 Pressure plate

EA82 throw-out bearing and fork

You will have to check timing by using the #3 spark plug wire instead of the #1 from now on, because the timing marks on the EA82 flywheel are 180 deg opposite the EA81.

You may have to make room in the transmission tunnel because the 5speed is a little wider and taller at then tail end. On the two conversionns that I have seen, there is a little bit of the housing that has been removed from the passenger side. Just a little unused bolt hole that sticks out. I just cut it of with a sawz-all because it is aluminium so it's very easy.

I also used the two-piece EA82 driveline but I have a wagon so it's the right length. If I remeber correctly the 5sp is about 11" shorter than the 4sp

Also make a little room where the dual-range lever linkage goes up into the interior. Probably the hardest part was drilling holes in the original tranny cross-member because it's very hard steel. I think this part would also be a good thing to have made for you by Jerry

If you need any more help you can call me.

503-860-2554

Good luck

Nathan

1983 gl wagon 4wd d/r 5sp LSD R-discs

Japanese Auto motor(higher cam)

180 deg t-stat, 10deg advanced on 87 octane and no detonation

170k on the body,

2-3k so far on the tranny and it's never meen faster. Top speed approx. 95 mph

The one thing you will have to do is change the driveline. The one piece from your Hatch will be too short. The two piece from the EA82 donor will be too long. So, unless you have the capabilities to do driveline work you will have to pay to have it done. The cheapest route will be the one piece set up. Other than that all you need should be available between the two cars.

EA82 flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate, throw out bearing. The bolt holes will be a little bit bigger than the EA81 flywheel. This shouldn't be a concern. Just make sure you use blue loctite when you put in the flywheel.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it.

Qman

I just got a question about why you need to change the flywheel.

I got both of them out and they actually look very similar. The only thing that looks different is the backside (motor side). Other than that it looks to be the same size. I was wondering if I could actually just change the fibre in the clutch to the EA82 and keep everything else the same. (like I said, I'm on a budget and I don't have the clutch from the wagon, it went with the car to the scrapper. Besides I don't know how long this car is going to last anyways.) Does anybody know this actual differences in size of the flywheel and clutch assembly. Because to me it looks like it will work. It may sound cheap, but I am, and the car is only worth a couple of hundred bucks anyways. So any further info would be appreciated. As for the driveshaft, I'm going to get a friend to weld it up on a lathe for me and see how that works.

From what I hear the spline count on the clutch and the trans have to match but as long as they match and the flywheel to clutch surfaces are the same size you should be okay.

Ea82 and XT6 flywheels are primarily an upgrade due to weight and the newer one has probably been turned less times (as in: machined to smooth it).

Shawn