Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I purchased a 2005 Forester X back in November and for the most part love it.

My one major gripe with it is the road noise.

When I drive over 60mph on the highway i get some decent roadnoise from the wind. This is not the whistling noise of a window seal, just the generic "whooshing" sound. I am assuming there is little I can do about this.

When I drive on your standard street that hasn't been repaved in the last 2-3 years, I get a considerable amount of roadnoise going over bumps and inconsistencies in the road - especially from what sounds like the rear of the car.

Also if im driving through wet areas even at low speeds I can easily hear the "ding" of debris getting kicked up against the side of the car.

I realize that I did not get the XT or even XS which might have taken measure to make a smoother/quieter, but i was just wondering if 1) the roadnoise is normal and 2) Is there any affordable way to dampen the road noise (im very car-unsavvy btw)

Other than the roadnoise I'm throughly happy with my forester!

david g.

I just purchased a 2005 Forester XT and agree that the road noise is somewhat loud. Mine came with Yoko Geolander G900 tires, which are actually truck tires on the tirerack.com site. They are not a highly consumer rated tire. I suspect it's mostly tire noise I hear and for highway use a different style would reduce it a lot. Since I don't feel like parting with $400 or so for new tires, will have to put up with it.

Tires will probably make you quite a bit happier. But it is an SUV, and will always have some road noise, Subarus have never been the quietest vehicle. When my father worked at the dealership back in "84 they were putting down insulation under the carpets for customer that complained, especially in the hatchback model.

I have an 04 forester X - my last car was a 97 mb c230 which was really, really quiet - and the forester has not been bad comparetively - all stock, I have not found that the road noise is bad, I never have to put the music (which is always on, prob. why the road noise isn't an issue) above 10 on the radio.

In those few moments that the radio is off, I noticed that the car is quieter when you drive the cargo cover closed - but hey that's just me.

Good to know about the tires. I will definately keep this bit of info tucked away in my brain.

Has anyone dabbled with dynamat (or other brand acoustic matting)? I've read reviews where it decreased exterior noise by 9DB which is fairly impressive. I wouldn't mind dropping $300-400 on the matting, its just i have no idea about taking off all the panelling in my car to apply it - heck i dont feel comfortable installing a car stereo!

Thanks,

david g.