Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea 82 carbed to SPFI

The SPFI long block has higher compression pistons and a different camshafts.

That and there are no ports in the block for the ASV system.

The difference in camshafts is the time of opening and closing - I think the carb's are open longer

But you can indeed swap a carb'd block under an SPFI delivery.Just block the ports.

I've never done the oposite but my guru 30+ year Subaru man says you can,just drill out the port and I believe the threads are there in all SPFI heads.Correct me if I'm wrong on that someone,please.

But you can indeed swap a carb'd block under an SPFI delivery.Just block the ports.

I've never done the oposite but my guru 30+ year Subaru man says you can,just drill out the port and I believe the threads are there in all SPFI heads.Correct me if I'm wrong on that someone,please.

I made beautiful little bolt-on caps for my ASV system - why the heck would you want to carb an SPFI head? - furthermore, why would you bother hooking up the stupid ASV system? - I think it is possible to go the other way, but I would be worried about heat dissappation from the modded head

I made beautiful little bolt-on caps for my ASV system - why the heck would you want to carb an SPFI head? - furthermore, why would you bother hooking up the stupid ASV system? - I think it is possible to go the other way, but I would be worried about heat dissappation from the modded head

Dude,you're 19 and in the Carolinas....up here when you get a little older and money is tighter you might want to do things just to stretch the life of a car a little longer.

I'm not saying that's something I prefer to do,but it can be done.And with about as much effort as making pretty little caps for you portholes.The point is to just lift an intake and stuff a good block underneath.Call it what you want but if it works for a while,why not?We're talking about cars that are disappearing from the roads up here faster than you can say "the sherriff's got the best moonshine around".:)

Some states have serious emissions standards as well.Lack of equipmnet is an automatic failure.Bye bye to a day of effort for lack of a few minutes more of effort.