Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX all wheel drive question

I just purchased an RX with 5 speed dual range all wheel drive. I am going to put this transmission into my 3 door along with the LSD rear end. I haven't looked at it yet but what is involved in hooking up the differential lock. I will have a few RX parts for sell since I am parting this car out. Wife doesn't want another car around. I had to take it over to my mom's for awhile.

cjt

from what you're asking this is a 3-door RX, not a RX sedan? If it still have the full bodykit, I want it. I got money and I can buy it and pay for shipping. I wanna be first in line for this baby YEAH!

As for hooking up the difflock, you'll need to pull the whole wiring harness from the donor car that goes from the switch in the cabin, the tranny, and from the instrument cluster as well. You'll also need to pull the instument cluster and swap it out with your stock one. I'm not exactly sure what it involves but it can't be too hard. Just follow the wires!

It is a 3 door RX and not a sedan. It has a body kit on it and seeing that I already have one for my 3 door I will be selling it. It has a break on the drivers side piece. About 2 inches is broken out. The front spoiler has been hit on a curb. It has the rear spoiler and all the lower pieces.

cjt

As for hooking up the difflock, you'll need to pull the whole wiring harness from the donor car that goes from the switch in the cabin, the tranny, and from the instrument cluster as well. You'll also need to pull the instument cluster and swap it out with your stock one. I'm not exactly sure what it involves but it can't be too hard. Just follow the wires!

Holy crap!! Its a good thing I didn't know all that before I hooked up my difflock.. I would have had to replace half of the car instead of running 2-3 wires through the firewall!

I just purchased an RX with 5 speed dual range all wheel drive. I am going to put this transmission into my 3 door along with the LSD rear end. I haven't looked at it yet but what is involved in hooking up the differential lock. I will have a few RX parts for sell since I am parting this car out. Wife doesn't want another car around. I had to take it over to my mom's for awhile.

cjt

You need to keep the RX. Its rare. No BS.

Hey...

I have a 87 RX 3 dr and am wondering about your RXs drivers seat condition and rear drivers side tailight condition? Also does it have the enblem on the front grille? thanks

rwbsage

The dirvers seat is badly worn. The dirvers side tailight is in good condition.

cjt

If I could save this car without putting in a ton of money and time I would do it. The car is very rusty needs quarters and the floor pan is probably rusted also. The interior needs to be completely redone new engine new paint everything. I have cars worth much more than this that I could spend my time on. I am not being negative to people wanting to save an RX just realistic about this car.

cjt

Holy crap!! Its a good thing I didn't know all that before I hooked up my difflock.. I would have had to replace half of the car instead of running 2-3 wires through the firewall!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJ

On the diff lock set up.

There are two vacuum solenoids that shift the center diff lock on or off.

They can be controlled with any two pole single throw switch.

You can use the one on the center console or

put one in of your own devise.

I believe you will find the solenoids above the master cylinder directly in front of

the wiper motor.

The solenoids feed vacuum to a servo vacuum diaphragm.

It in turn pulls or pushes a cable that is connected to the shift arm on the diff.

The same set up shifts the 4wd system in and out on a single range "push button" 4wd.

With the switch in one position, one of the solenoids feeds vacuum to the servo motor.

With the switch in the other position the other solenoid feeds vacuum - causing the servo

to move the other way.

There is a light controlled by the other throw on the switch, telling you it

is in the lock position.

Note you should not drive on surfaces that do not allow tire slippage with it in the lock position.

Hope this helps

thanks for answers everybody.

I'll take pictures of the tailight and I believe the passenger seat is ok I'll have to look. I have commitments tonight and tomorrow until 10:00 and have to be at work at 7:00 then next mornings so it will be a couple of days.

cjt

Any progress on the tail light and passenger seat (just need a good cover , not the whole seat) also could use misc interior screws etc...let me know...thanks

So what year RX is it?

It has a good grill. The drivers side tail light is good. I have it off. The passenger seat is not good. Sorry it has taken long to respond to this I have been very busy. I can e-mail you a picture if you want. Send me an e-mail with what interior pieces you may need at cthurnau@comcast.net.

cjt