Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hot air intake pipe not connected to stove pipe

Hi

Been meaning to ask about this for a while now. The hot air pipe is not in good shape, busted in quite a few spots and not connected to the stove pipe. What kind of problems am I likely to run into and assuming I buy a new pipe where is the stove pipe that its supposed to connect to, I cant figure it out from my haines manual.

86 gl wagon

Your Y pipe should have a small tube rising up from around just before the cat.on the passenger side.One end of the flex tube goes on there...other on the airbox...you know the deal.;)

Hi again

Ive found a rubber pipe in that area which isnt connected to anything it blows air when the engine in running is this it?

thanks

is it carbureted? it sounds like a breather hose, or an air suction valve. it should be hooked up to something. if not a pcv, a filter.

the only thing not having the air cleaner heater tube hooked up to the exhaust, is that it'll take a bit longer to warm up. i never have them hooked up

If it's a large diameter hose it probably goes to the "trombone" pipe at the top of the intermediate pipe (longer mid-pipe) just rear of your tranny.

Its about 1/2 an inch or more in diameter, and maybe 6 inches or so is coming out of the body work. Will have a look for that trombone pipe and see if it goes there.

My subu is carborated

Thanks for all the help this board is great :) Please forgive my mechanical ignorance, I did take mechanics class back in high school but it was a long long time ago :)

• 7 months later...