Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will EJ20 work with Impreza wagon?

bob88

yes it will, go to ispeedusa.com and print out or look at there thingy they have for that conversion, oyu will need motor, entire car harness, engine harness, turbo legacy or wrx engine and tranny crossmembers, the up and down pipes form a wrx, would be good idea to get STI motor and tranny mounts, get the wrx 5 speed, unless you already have a manual tranny, if you have tranny, get it cyro'd, they submerged the tranny shafts in liquid nitrogen for 24 hours to super strengthen the outside of the metal, kinda like forging it, only with cold not heat. there are many other things that you will need but that is a start, try nasioc.com and sign up there. look in the aftermarket forced induction forum about how-to, and do some good olde' fashioned searching to get alot more details than i can give you right now. thats a start right. good luck.

~Josh~

alot of people would like to turbo their N/A car, problem is the internals arent made for boosted applications, production turbo cars use forged internals, N/A some might but most dont, chepaer that way, but if you build the motor formt h ground up, you can put whatever you want in it, some people have turbo'd their stock N/A motors and have had no problems, some have had serious engine failure, i wouldnt, you might. the EJ22 in the 22B is closed deck design, the top of the cylinder bore near where the block and heads meet is solid metal, with oil and coolant passages of course, the N/A EJ22 in your car has no metal there, and the cylinder, under more boost than normal, flexes and you can breach your headgasket that way, no to mention warp your block and/or heads. now if you got a EJ22T block from an older turbo legacy or something you could build yourself a WRX killer, especially since you have the same suspension possibilities as the WRX, not to mention the lighter weight of your car, but lots of things car go wrong when you mix/match engines and cars, but isnt it so fun.

~Josh~

Thanks a ton, dude. The info you have given me really gave me a boost. I have just one final question. Do you know any good sites where they sell subaru parts (engines, suspensions, ect...). The ispeedusa.com like doesn't work. Again thanks for the info. :)

• 2 weeks later...

also try looking on http://www.nasioc.com , which is specifically an impreza board!

the conversion is a lot of work but its do-able... best thing to do if find a wrecked car with the internals you want, that way all your engine and electronic parts will match up and you will also have most of the parts needed..

finding a impreza wrx parts car rather than a legacy turbo would help too, all the parts will fit better seeming as how you have an impreza...