Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can 5sp DR's be rebuilt?

I have two junk yard 5sp DR's, one in my rig (it works ok but high miles) the other needs synchros bad. I'm wondering, can new synchros be installed?

My best friend and mechanic insists he can rebuild any tranny, has done many, both auto and manual, but never worked on Soobs.

Are parts even availiable? I wonder if he can really handle it? Are they very different from other Manual trans? I think all it needs are seals and synchros.

Anybody know what it takes to freshen these units?

I know, I know. Just run junk yard trans. But I want the dependebility of newly rebuilt, if it is possible.

Pyro

My best friend and mechanic insists he can rebuild any tranny, has done many, both auto and manual, but never worked on Soobs.

Are parts even availiable? I wonder if he can really handle it? Are they very different from other Manual trans? I think all it needs are seals and synchros.

Anybody know what it takes to freshen these units?

I know, I know. Just run junk yard trans. But I want the dependebility of newly rebuilt, if it is possible.

A FSM will have the detail on the trannies (and the rebuild proceedure/part #s) get the one for the model year of the trannies you have - yes they are very rebuildable - I know some board members have rebuilt their trannies - not sure who though - don't know about parts availability, but I would guess some are left

the innards of the soob tranny looks like all the other manuals I have seen before (albeit slightly different component placement) - but I have never rebuilt a tranny before - so I can't say if it is any harder to rebuild

unless the high-miles tranny is having issues, I would not worry about it - manual trannies work or don't - you have to screw them up for them to fail (hence why I like them more than autos)

are you sure it is the synchros - have you changed your gear oil lately?