Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Three wheels?

Can a Subie run on three wheels?

Before you start sending in the motorcycle pics...

What I'm getting at is, on an older subie, could you pull a flat tire off and run on two fronts and one rear?

Yea I'm talking in an emergency situation and not as a policy for street use...

Does the Subaru Balance? Has anyone ever done it?

Admit it "Miles", you've tried it.

????

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--No Spare!

01 Forester--full size flat spare...

Can a Subie run on three wheels?

Before you start sending in the motorcycle pics...

What I'm getting at is, on an older subie, could you pull a flat tire off and run on two fronts and one rear?

Yea I'm talking in an emergency situation and not as a policy for street use...

Does the Subaru Balance? Has anyone ever done it?

????

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--No Spare!

01 Forester--full size flat spare...

I think my Brat would, if the right rear wheel was off and as long as I didn't get out of the drivers seat. Pork Chop counter weight:grin:

oh it'll do it, but you'll be riding on your ball joint, even with big tires.

the only way to do it would be air suspension. take the flat off, crank the front strutwith the air in the tire, all the way up. chain up hub with no wheel on it.

as the gangsters say..... 3 wheel motion!

Having lost a front left wheel on a freeway doing 90km/h (lug nuts worked their way off), I can definately say, NO it doesn't balance with a wheel missing. However the only damage that was done was to the nut holding the balljoint to the control arm. I just swapped control arm / balljoint for a good one I had spare and it was all good.

Having lost a front left wheel on a freeway doing 90km/h (lug nuts worked their way off), I can definately say, NO it doesn't balance with a wheel missing. However the only damage that was done was to the nut holding the balljoint to the control arm. I just swapped control arm / balljoint for a good one I had spare and it was all good.

That's why he's saying specifically a back wheel, I think the car is front-heavy, so if a front wheel falls off, the car falls to the ground, but without a back one, the suspension arm may just dangle in thin air.

It makes sense.. the Brats should be able to balance.. least I know mine should. Theres been plenty of times I've lifted a leg both going up and down, and have been able to get out and take a picture without worries of it tipping back. I think in an extreme emergency where there are no other options... I would do it. Even though I have the accessories out and the engine split from the tranny (so I'm light up front), I think I'm gonna take a wheel off and see if it'll sit there. Just to experiment since I'm not driving it anyways. ;)

Although its a scary thought running down the road like that.. its rather intriguing. :headbang: git-r-done.

Okay..I take it back. No I wouldnt drive it that way. I think I'd prefer running on a bare rim and just get a new used one when I get to where theres civilization. Either that or have to get a new drum. It does balance.. however its too low for my comfort. Clearance is like 1.5". I think maybe with the engine put all back together and radiator and stuff in I might gain maybe an inch more clearance, but its still too close for me.

Not having a job to go to, and being woke up much earlier than I'm willing by the noisy neighbors = an early morning start on my boredom. :lol:

Pics of experiment:

http://random.fjeer.us/imagedump-060.jpg

http://random.fjeer.us/imagedump-061.jpg

http://random.fjeer.us/imagedump-062.jpg

I usually insert my highlift into one of the holes on the wheel to lift whatever corner enough to put something under.. but since I needed to lift and lower with a wheel off, my custom welded up receiver served nicely. :headbang:

Now solution wise.. if I had a set of smaller tyres up front, that would hike up the rear enough to drive on.. but that defeats the purpose of the experiment. You'd need a spare.. but one thats larger than the tyres you already have.

Oh well.. least now we all know, and I can put the tyre back on and try to go back to sleep now that I've exerted myself so early in the morning....

Baja Bug guys have been know to do it when required. But they are very light in the front and normaly have bigger tires in the rear, if you move the tires around so you have a small one on the opposite rear of the missing front it will get you home. The hanning front arm acts like a spring loaded skid in the rough stuff.

I dont think it would work very well with the Subie though, maybe if you pulled the axle and brake assembly leaving just the spring loaded arm.

Gary

LMAO!

Great pics!

And I thought I was nuts ;)

However, I have a confession.....

:lol: I tried it last night too! :lol:

I came up with the same results. :grin:

and the buggy doesn't weigh that much in the back!

I have to wonder if having no sway bar was a contributing factor?

If it were to work I'd think you'd need a limiting strap on the opposite front wheel and a lifting strap on the brake area of the missing wheel.

I think we all have too much time on our hands :rolleyes:

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--failed the test.

01 Forester--ain't gonna be tested.

Well, I still have the front sway bar installed.. so it doesnt make that much difference. Maybe if it was larger/stiffer... who knows?

I also guess, in my case since I've got EA82 coilovers out back, I could just remove the lower shock mount bolt, and zip-tie the whole trailing arm up to gain even more clearance. Hmm.. interesting idea. :brow:

QUOTE]

robert had a wheel fall off the front of his wagon, busting the ball joint nut. put tire on to have the ball joint let go, dragged the car 3 miles left a LONG black mark on the road

i had the rear wheel fall off, before i jacked the car up i found that i will roll on the rear rotor. drims will ride on the backing plate. yeah i guess i have tried it in these aspects. "104 on the rim!"

From Experience......:(

In my Gen one wagon, I lost a Rear Hub,Drum and All.....

With 2 Guys in the front seats, and My tool box on the front passenger floor, I was able to limp it home across town about 6 miles .....Wasn't fun, but it was done......I would have tried to Fix it on the spot, but the Tire wheel and Hub went bouncing off into the forest Along side the road we were on......I didn't feel like hunting for it in the Dark.......

Good pics by the way......

On a different note......

Out 4x4'ing once I forgot a jack and of coarse Ole Murphy Gave me a flat......So I loosened all the lug nuts then found a Log and Some rocks I could teeter Totter on.....Got the wheel with the flat in the air and, Fixed the flat with no issues, and No jack.....:)

Later, John