Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey there...its been awhile since Ive had to come onto this message board to ask for help...But as my life always goes...my car is giving me trouble...

Let me explain...

I was driving home from work last night..it was snowing like hell out...(normal stuff here in vermont)...but it was a wet snow...almost slushy...Fun driving now that Im in a subaru...But back to the point...A few minutes before I got home, my check engine light came on...I figured I'd finish the ride home and deal with it in the morning...(figuring it just needed oil or something simple like that)...

Well...to add to the problems...Over night the temperture dropped almost 30 degrees and the wind chill made it about -50 degree F...causing all the slush on the bottom of my car to freeze solid...

This morning, my day off, I was going to go enjoy some nice foot deep powder on the mountain I live near...only to find out that my car wouldnt start...

I turned the key...the engine cranked, and kinda fired, but when I released the key, as I normally would, the car died...And I have now had to hook up jumper cables tto my car, and after trying on and off for a few hours, I have had no luck!! The engine cranks and cranks and occasionally throws a little putter...I thought maybe the engine was to cold...so earlier I put a heating pad on my engine to warm it up..but no luck...I figure it must be a sensor somewhere or maybe my fuel pump...But what Im wondering is if maybe it is becuase I have about a inch thick layer of frozen slush on the underside of my car... Any advice would be appreciated!! It is 20 degrees right now and my car has been in the sun all afternoon...I figure at this point if it had been cold, it would have started...There have been many days this winter where the temp was as cold if not colder, and I had no problem with my car starting...

someone please help! :)

Chris

Did you try starting the car with the gas pedal to the floor? It might help (more air and not more gas with a fuel injected car) if for some reason your engine is flooded.

Only one possibility.

Did you try starting the car with the gas pedal to the floor? It might help (more air and not more gas with a fuel injected car) if for some reason your engine is flooded.

Only one possibility.

Hey...I tried a few times...but not for very long..I wasnt sure if it was something that I should do... At least a few times I let the engine turn over at least a minute or so...but never held the pedal to the floor for longer than that...I now have a dead battery, so I have to jump it...

by the way, It is a 93 legacy...non turbo...160 thousand miles...

and I have had no problems in a long time...My cam shaft sensor was replaced a few months ago..so Im wondering if it may be radiator thermal sensor(something like that)...if you know what I am talking about...Please let me know where I can find it in my car...I can start with replacing that...

thanks

Chris

I see you had the camshaft sensor replaced. Why? did you get a code for it. I'm Having the same problem with my 98 Forester. I got a code for the crankangle sensor over a year ago and replaced it. Then over a month ago I started having the same starting problems as you when the temperture droped to freezing. I got codes for crankangle sensor and camshaft sensor. I replaced both and the dealer said they recommend replacing both sensors even if you get a code for just one. I had a one year guarantee on the crankangle sensor. You probably have a one year gaurantee on your camshaft sensor. If you get a code for one of those sensors. replace both. You will only have to buy the crankangle sensor since your camshaft sensor is only 6 months old. After I replaced the sensors the problem went away for a couple weeks. Then I had starting problems after car was sitting over the weekend. I still get codes for the crankshaft sensor and/or camshaft sensor after I can't get the car to start. I'm thinking of replacing the wiring harness next.

Hey...I tried a few times...but not for very long..I wasnt sure if it was something that I should do... At least a few times I let the engine turn over at least a minute or so...but never held the pedal to the floor for longer than that...I now have a dead battery, so I have to jump it...

by the way, It is a 93 legacy...non turbo...160 thousand miles...

and I have had no problems in a long time...My cam shaft sensor was replaced a few months ago..so Im wondering if it may be radiator thermal sensor(something like that)...if you know what I am talking about...Please let me know where I can find it in my car...I can start with replacing that...

thanks

Chris

If the temp sensor was bad it would trigger a CEL and leave a code in the ECM memory.

YOu have to look hard to find it. Start by locating the PCV valve (just left - looking into the engine compartment - of the throttle body and connected to a rubber hose) go down from there and under the left side (still looking into the eng. comp.) fuel intake manifold looking towards the front of the engine. The sensor is screwed horizontaly back to front. You have to push aside-disconnect a few wires and vac hoses to get access to it. Need a socket and proper extension to remove and replace it.

Hi everyone...thanks for all the help so far...

It is now warmer out and the car wont start so I have decided that it is something more involved than just the cold weather...

I noticed something new today...as I was hooking up the battery charger to the battery, I heard a slight buzzing, humming sound...I determined that it was coming from somewhere behind the multipoint fuel injector thingy...Not sure what it is...but I've never heard it before...very soft noise...anyone have any idea what that might be?!?! and also...now when I push the gas pedal..I can hear a buzzing type of sound coming from under the hood...I cant determine where it is coming from because I am alone...hope this helps figure out what is wrong

thanks and I will get back to you with everything I try..thanks for the help!!

Chris

Hey everyone...

It warmed up to almost 38 degrees today...so I decided to give my car another go...After almost 45 minutes of trying to start the car...It puttered enough to start running...Sounded and smelled like ************ for awhile...but at least its running...I filled the tank, added a little more dry gas, and a little bit of fuel injection cleaner....seems to be doing ok...

But tomorrows another day...and it is supposed to be 10 degrees tonite..so Im hoping for the best!!

thanks for all the help!

Chris

Hey everyone...

It warmed up to almost 38 degrees today...so I decided to give my car another go...After almost 45 minutes of trying to start the car...It puttered enough to start running...Sounded and smelled like ************ for awhile...but at least its running...I filled the tank, added a little more dry gas, and a little bit of fuel injection cleaner....seems to be doing ok...

But tomorrows another day...and it is supposed to be 10 degrees tonite..so Im hoping for the best!!

thanks for all the help!

Chris

my starting problems have been spuratic lately. When it doesn't start it is usually cold. But I've had starting problems as high as 50 degrees. So I guess it doesn't have to be cold for the camshaft or crankshaft sensor to malfuction.