Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help...Manifold Silicone Gasket

To cut a long story short, I have a removed manifold off an EA81 that I need to put back on (only transport) the parts guy around the corner said he has the gaskets, but when I go around there, he can't find them :banghead: And I am too far away from anything else.

The question is can I use a silicone gasket ? I have some Blue XS RTV Silicone sitting here and contemplating using it. Would this be ok or will I need the gaskets.

Thanx

Speedyparts.com is USA, isn't it? they couldn't do better than "2nd day" across the Int DT, eh?

You would be better off getting some sheet/roll gasket material and cutting your own gaskets. I assume that this material is available to you; just use an "Xacto" knife (or whatever it may be called for you) to cut to fit.

Most silicone sealers will not stand up to constant exposure to petroleum products. They start to swell and soften, eventually failing.

Thanks guys, I thought of the gasket paper, but decided to order in the gaskets. They will be here tomorrow. Thanks again for the heads up, and the interesting cornflake box suggestion:)

ps: we call an Xacto knife a Stanley knife. (Stanley sell all hardware gear here in Aus) The term Xacto is used here sometimes, so I did know what you meant :cool:

it depends on the gaskets. Some you can use Ultra Blue on and some go on dry. I dont remember the names of them, but I just ask em at the counter of the parts store and they will tell you. The cardboard/fiber type you can use silcone on. the harder plastic ones and metal gaskets (exhaust) go on dry.

For intake manifolds I use Ultra Blue that comes in the pressurized can. you onyl need a bead about 1/8" thick. make sure you have a clean intake mounting surface and put the ultra blue on the block. now put the gasket over the ultrablue. how set the intake over the gasket. DO NOT SLIDE the manifold once its down. IF you do, the ultra blue will get ito the coolant port and you'll be replacing headgaskets.

i personally use the copper spray gasket sealer stuff

on any kind of gasket i install

plus its high temp enough to use on exhaust flange gaskets

and its sticky enough to helpt he gaskets stay ion place while your working

it leaves a nice thin sealing coat on the gaskets and it helps fill in small imperfections

...Some you can use Ultra Blue on ...

Again, I would be careful about using a silicone product on a part subject to petroleum exposure. Might be OK, but if you would be concerned about using ONLY the silicone sealer then you really shouldn't use it on the gasket.

After trying all kinds of gasket stuff on all of my gaskets, I've gone back to using nothing at all. As long as the gasket surfaces are smooth and clean, a plain paper gasket will work as well as anything else. It also seems to come off easier if I need to change it later. I hate trying to scrape bits of silicone off a gasket surface.

EXCEPTIONS: If there is scarring, pitting, or grooving on a gasket surface, I'll use silicone, mostly to fill in a potential source of a leak. I'll also use silicone on the oil pan gasket or the transmission pan gasket, because the pan material is thin.