Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Diesel Powered Subi?

FlyB0y

When I learned that Subaru was part of Fuji heavy industries, I had an interesting idea. :banana:

With the advent of Bio-diesel that you can basicly manufacture in your garage, why not see if there is a diesel engine made by Fuji could be made to work well in a Subi ... maybe it's just a crazy idea, but well with the $2/ gallon gas prices, it's one dream I'd love to see come true :drunk:

Oh man, you reminded me of something that might make some of you on this board very excited.

Finding a diesel that will bolt up to the Subaru tranny is virtually impossible, but now it looks like there may be an alternative. There are a few companies that sell kits to connect VW diesels to Totota truck trannies as well as Suzuki Samurai trannies. It would take some fab work, but I think it would be entirely possible to put this comination into a lifted soob in the same fashion as the increasingly popular divorced T-case mod.

Any thoughts on this?

BTW: The Rabbit diesel produces somewhere around 50 hp and 100 ft-lbs in stock, non-turbocharged form. It would not be terribly difficult to increase those numbers.

hmmm so then you would have a VolksWagon (people's wagon) powered roo, a Volksaru?

and if your going to goto that trouble, is that the best diesel engine available that would stuff into a Subi?

I'd like to have something more along the lines of THIS diesel!! :headbang:

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp?vehicle=LIBERTY&pid=u&adid=u&rid=u

look-up the:

"2.8L 4 Cylinder Turbo Diesel engine that produces 160 horsepower at 3,800 rpm and a stout 295 pounds-feet of torque at 1,800 rpm"

now if you could get that to fit I would love that kinda power from old french fry oil!! :banana:

There are rumors circulating for the last 4 years that there is a diesel EA-81 that was used in japanese fork lifts, no dice on that one yet.

There is a girl in london ontario that is putting a Boat diesel in the back of her bug, apparantly its a flat four. no i don't have any info, met her on the plane, and never asked her name :banghead:

300 foot pounds is gonna break axles like tooth picks, especially with the big tires and wheels. 90hp with 150-175lbsft would probably be perfect.

There are rumors circulating for the last 4 years that there is a diesel EA-81 that was used in japanese fork lifts, no dice on that one yet.

There is a girl in london ontario that is putting a Boat diesel in the back of her bug, apparantly its a flat four. no i don't have any info, met her on the plane, and never asked her name :banghead:

300 foot pounds is gonna break axles like tooth picks, especially with the big tires and wheels. 90hp with 150-175lbsft would probably be perfect.

hmmmmmmmmmmmI love the sound of a diesel EA-81!! :brow: hope that rumor turns out to be true :headbang:

I feel your pain about forgeting to ask her name ... I have done the same thing b4 :-\

i know Onan produced a flat twin diesel of about 25hp maybe they also made a four

I had considered putting a B-series Cummins 4 cylinder in a Toyota truck, but was told that the engine is too heavy for that. Definitely way too heavy for a soob.

The VW engines would be just about perfect for our cars. Relatively light, okay power, and in the Rabbit pickups they got 40-50 mpg.

or how about just buying a Car that comes with a diesel. That would be allot easier than trying to put a diesel in a Subaru. If you put a diesel in a Subaru it wouldn't be a Subaru would it now?

Well, point taken, but what would you say to be able to drive your favorite subie with fuel you made from nothing more than the fryer oil you got from the local fast food resturant?

I'm mostly hoping that the rumor of the diesel EA-81 is true, but if not, it wouldn't be a challenge (or in this forum) unless it wasn't a subie engine :burnout:

I had considered putting a B-series Cummins 4 cylinder in a Toyota truck, but was told that the engine is too heavy for that. Definitely way too heavy for a soob.

The VW engines would be just about perfect for our cars. Relatively light, okay power, and in the Rabbit pickups they got 40-50 mpg.

hmmmmm I need to get the specifics about these VW engines ... wonder if they came with a turbo model? :drunk:

The last VW Diesel for fryer-oil-use is the 1,6 Turbo Diesel with 70HP from the Golf3/Transporter TD.The modern TDIs are not able to run with selfmade diesel/oil.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. 75% of the cars here are Diesel powered.

Lukas

You cant compare a never-took-care-of diesel and a well kept diesel.

If you make oilchanges regularely, the W123 and W124 Diesel engines are extremly reliable. In Germany and here in Austria, most Taxis are Mercedes Diesel, from the W124 200D up to W211 200 CDI and 220 CDI.

The best Diesel for Subaru-use and for fryer oil use is the 1,6 VW Turbo Diesel, believe me.

Its reliable, easy to work on, tuneable to 100HP and 200Nm torque, and easy to find (here).

Lukas

I've seen a few 1.6 n/a VW diesels here, and heard mention of the turbo model in the manual, but never actually seen one. Do you know if they just slapped a turbo on and adjusted the fuel pump, or if it's got lower compression pistons and such? Also, was the turbo model available in the US?

Don´t know if it was available in the US.

The 1,6 Diesel 50HP was available in the VW Golf1, VW Bus T3, Audi 80 Diesel, VW Passat Diesel and VW Caddy.

The 1,6 Turbo Diesel 70HP was available in the Golf2 and Golf3, VW Bus T3 Syncro, VW Santana, Audi 80 Turbo Diesel and Audi 100 CC Turbo Diesel.

Lukas

The best Diesel for Subaru-use and for fryer oil use is the 1,6 VW Turbo Diesel, believe me.

Its reliable, easy to work on, tuneable to 100HP and 200Nm torque, and easy to find (here).

Lukas

Great :cool: thx for the info Lukas, I have seen some diesel rabbits for sale, maybe I will be able to come across an engine from one :burnout:

hmmmmmmmmm I need that "German for Dummies" book :D (it's a 2005 car right?) I thiink that would be a NICE diesel engine, but I don't think I could afford even an engine out of a wreck of that car ... I think building one from a VW rabbit to get a little more power would be more possible for me ...

I do have one question tho, I have seen on this site ppl talking about wanting a non-turbo engine for use off-road ... what's wrong with using a turbo engine off road? :confused: (I know nothing about turbos ... )

Go for something like that:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68190&item=4535389284&rd=1

You can also see the engine.

Lukas

When your talking about a petrol (gasoline as you say) engine, turbos usually are tuned for power at high revs. Thats not very useful for offroading. (the ea series turbos still get their max torque quite low though). Diesel engines with turbos are generally fine for offroading.

you all know that running your diesel on veggy oil isn't very good for it right??? if you do it to often they will break...

aside from that would it be possible to convert a suby engine to diesel??? it deffinatly wouldn't be easy... but then you would be able to say, "hey! i got a suby diesel!" and we would all be like, "whoa! dude! you got a suby diesel!"

now wouldn't that be nice?

you all know that running your diesel on veggy oil isn't very good for it right??? if you do it to often they will break...

aside from that would it be possible to convert a suby engine to diesel??? it deffinatly wouldn't be easy... but then you would be able to say, "hey! i got a suby diesel!" and we would all be like, "whoa! dude! you got a suby diesel!"

now wouldn't that be nice?

please explain your reasoning behind your veggy bad theory? I have a diesel benz 5 cyl turbo that will be running bio D and maby veggy someday. It should run just fine from what I hear. some newer diesels can only run bio Diesel no veggy. Is that what you are refering to? if so I think it only applies to diesels with the new style injectors or "comon rail systems". I have done a bit of research as I am actively looking to go to an alternative fuel source before the great fuel price hike that will be coming some day.

dont think a suby engine case could really handle the pressures of diesel. from what I hear evin Ford is having a bit of trouble with the new 6.0 aluminum block power strokers. aluminum block and head with a diesel is not a really good idea.