Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 strut in Brat?

Gravityman

Hi Scott This is Jerry,i have that set up ready to go in my next brat. There is a few things you need to do, #1 brat lower A arm needs to be reamed out to fit the XT ball joint, #2 need to drill 2 holes at top of strut tower for the top of strut the third hole is already there,#3 the park brake arm on the caliper needs to be bent to clear something in that area, #4 the big one the axles are to long and you need to use the turbo tranny because of the 25 splines or change the inner joints to 23 splines. If you get those parts to fit then you got it installed. Thanks Jerry

when i get a brat, i actually want to convert it to use ea82 coil overs in the rear, and with the normal ride hight. im sure ill need to fab up a bracket for that. but for like, maybe, gl-10 rear struts, do i have to use the rear hub from those as well, or do they bolt up to the brat trailing arms? i havent done any suspension work on subies from the 80"s yet and will need to know what ill be gettin my self into.

this is all just "IF" i get a brat. ill also be converting it into a ea82 mpfi turbo woth a 5 spd d/r and rear lsd:grin: , if i get the one i want.

when i get a brat, i actually want to convert it to use ea82 coil overs in the rear, and with the normal ride hight. im sure ill need to fab up a bracket for that. but for like, maybe, gl-10 rear struts, do i have to use the rear hub from those as well, or do they bolt up to the brat trailing arms? i havent done any suspension work on subies from the 80"s yet and will need to know what ill be gettin my self into.

this is all just "IF" i get a brat. ill also be converting it into a ea82 mpfi turbo woth a 5 spd d/r and rear lsd:grin: , if i get the one i want.

im pretty sure they bolt right in.

i know the rears are longer from the ra82 and th mounts are wider, at least i do from reading posts from people asking about the sizing.

i need to get all the parts together and get me a brat before i make any judgments on this....

i know im one of only a few trying to atually make a street/ rally style monster outta a brat, im not trying to lift the one i get, i want it to handle and go fast. but that always brings up a good quote. " speed cost money, how fast you want to go?" it aint going to be cheap or easy, but ill have a 4wd turbo beast that i can violate hondas and visit homedepot with.:grin:

i hope

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help!

Now along with that, how about using an XT6's full suspension setup; ie.. Struts, control arms, cross member, drive axles and shaft and spindle. All this with the XT6 engine and 5 spd transmission and 4.90 locking diff.

NUTS????

Basicly a brat lifted about 6 inches on an XT6's sub frame.

Possible, or am I crazy?

This will extend my wheel base 2" on both sides 4" total, and extend my rear wheels back 2". <-- this is based off of my calculations between my 84 brat and 89 XT6.

Oh ya and that FULLY REBUILT TWIN TURBO ER27 I forgot to mention, sorry.

What do you think? I know it will be ALOT of fabrication but do you think it is worth it?