Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how effective is a front reseal job?

I'd say 2-3 years, based on the couple of re-seals I've done. Note: These were done in an outdoor parking spot and a dirt driveway, over several days, and without anything but basic tools. If they were done in a controlled environment, using the right tools (parts washer, torque wrench, etc.) you could probably last 4-5 years between re-seals.

Even then, the first thing to go seems to be the cam case o-ring. As long as you check the oil level religiously, you could make it through several additional leaky years until the cam seals start to go. All an oil leak does to me is convert my gravel driveway into a paved driveway. :brow:

That sounds about right. If any of the sealing surfaces are worn, it won't last as long though....my rebuilt 205k motor started leaking a TINY bit (no drop on the ground yet, but a bit of residue on the engine) from what I think is probably the front crank seal. If it starts to leak much, I'll just sleeve it though.