Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adjust rear brakes

So I swapped fron calipers on my 85 wagon when I did the tranny swap cause the originals needed rebuilt. Donor cars were good to go.

We bled and bled and bled. Helped a bunch, but still very mushy pedal. They work, but not like they should.

I'm sure we got all the air out.

My buddy says I need to adjust the rear shoes.

I'm used to a slot in the backing plate, reach in with a flat screw driver and turn a star cam thingy till they just begin to rub, then back off a bit, maybe 1/4 turn.

I can't find a slot.

Hayes manul talks about an adjuster sticking out from the backing plate, but thats not there.

What am I missing.

There is a very small oval hole back there, with a rubber plug in it. Is that it?

Thanks,

Pyro

Nevermind, I got it. And sorry for posting the question before searching. There was plenty of info in the search.

Backed up hard, stomped on pedal a few times. Pedal came right up.

Problem now is I feel a bit of shimmy or pulsing so to speak when braking hard. I HOPE it will even out with use.

I figur ig it just crap on the drums or disks from disuse, will get better. But if somethings bent,

Pyro