Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD Volvo 245

300td4x4

I am considering putting a Legacy engine/tranny in the front of a Volvo 245 wagon. Does anyone know if something like this has been done before? (i.e, using a Subaru engine/trans to go to AWD from a formerly RWD car? Here is a link to another hybrid wagon I built a few years ago:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1185395

I have done some careful measuring for the "Volvaru" project and an ej22 will fit between the "frame" rails of a 240. There is about a 1/2 -3/4" clearance on each side. The length of the engine with a radiator will fit behind a 240 grill, too. The cutting would be around the engine crossmember area if you want a relatively low ride height. With a 3 inch lift there would be very little cutting there. The top mounts of the subaru struts are out about an inch each way of the Volvo mounting points. The subaru struts have mild steel flanges with two bolts. Elongating these bolt holes would allow for correcting the camber provided the axles will telescope enough, which I think they will.

Well, I can see how it might work. In my mind, the Front drive line is the real issue. You could do something like taking the front steering knuckle that the front axle of a subaru and adapt the suspension to that or find a knuckle from a truck that would attach the stock volvo strut. You could then adapt a custom set of front axles that would be the right length and style of coupling. Then the mounting of the AWD gearbox. That could get tricky too.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking from the Volvo side of things, the biggest obstacle is the front suspension, never being intended for FWD or AWD. People have considered various bits, notably stuff from Cossies, but I don't know of anybody who's made it work. Excepting people who've simply thrown a Volvo unibody on a Ford Ranger chassis or other similarly warped stuff.

The rear end will be easy - the stock rear is a Dana 30, and it's good for about 250-300 hp. But for the front, you could make a new subframe, or new mounts for Subie suspension bits.

The upside is that the ej22 is at least 50 lbs lighter than a B230 motor, and it'll be sitting a bit lower to boot. Oh, and it will be different from the sea of conversions using 5.0 and SBC mills.

INteresting that you should bring this up. When I had the B230 out of my 740 during my +T conversion, I actually picked up an EJ22 off the shop floor just for the hell of it and set it under the hood of the volvo.. I was curious about the fitment. It appeared to be a decent fit, but the mounts looked as though they would be a bit forward of the volvo xmember if one were to use an EJ tranny. That would make for some interesting axle angles.

INteresting that you should bring this up. When I had the B230 out of my 740 during my +T conversion, I actually picked up an EJ22 off the shop floor just for the hell of it and set it under the hood of the volvo.. I was curious about the fitment. It appeared to be a decent fit, but the mounts looked as though they would be a bit forward of the volvo xmember if one were to use an EJ tranny. That would make for some interesting axle angles.

I would use the Subaru subframe and find a way to mount it to the Volvo chassis. Cool that you physically checked the dimensions. By my measurements there is about 1.25" clearance total between both sides of the frame rails and engine.

Brian

In Whitefish, MT, far NW corner of the state. About 40 air miles south of the Canadian border and 95 miles east of the Idaho border. Very top of the Flathead Valley, right at 3,000' elev. We're at the base of Big Mountain, which is relatively low, (about 7,000') but usually has great powder, and we can be sitting in on the lift 15 mins from our driveway (thank you Subaru).

We've had the warmest driest winter on record. We actually LOST money on our ski passes this year. We watched storm after storm veer south from the WA coast and dump on you guys on the CA/NV Pacific Crest ... SIGH!

BTW, love the Merc!

I would use the Subaru subframe and find a way to mount it to the Volvo chassis. Cool that you physically checked the dimensions. By my measurements there is about 1.25" clearance total between both sides of the frame rails and engine.

Brian

I don't have the EJ22 here to check any more( don't have the shop any more for that matter)

But I can measure the fram rails for you

The +T conversion is when you take a 9.8:1 volvo b230 longblock and slap all the 8.5:1 b230 turbo turbo crap on it :D

Motor designations

N/A 2.3 B230F

Turbo 2.3 B230FT

Mine B230F +T

:D