Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX-that cooling hose that goes from the thermostat housing -under the intake manifold

As expected, it is the source of my leak.:banghead: Is there any easy way to fix this. I can't even tell if there is a clamp down there(if there is how would I even deal with it), because I can hardly reach or see under the intake manifold. Do I have to remove the intake manifold, or what?

I replaced it once on my EA82T without removing the manifold. I got a clamp that could be tightened from the front (not the top) - like a hose clamp, so that it could be clamped down by putting the screwdriver in from the front and torquing it down.

Get a long piece of hose so that you have something to push it on with and then trim it to length after you have got it secured under the manifold.

It wasn't fun, but it held up for me. I had my manifold off a few weeks ago and was going to redo it, but it was on there fine so I left it.

oh, hose broke, and the last peice wasn't coming off, so I was about ready to just take off the intake manifold, but I removed the fan instead, to get more room to work. So, I'm ok now, got the hose on and putting it back together.:)

I just changed this same @#$@ hose on my EA82T XT, and can offer this easy piece of advise. You need a really long screwdriver, or a 1/4" ratchet with a long extention.

Put the hose on, then slide the clamp where it is supposed to go. Then you can stick the long screwdriver in from the pass side through the space in the manifold and tighten it up easy. What works really good is one of those screwdriver shafts that are like a spring so you can tighten it up at an angle.

It helps to remove the oil filler tube sometimes too, depending on your type of screwdriver. May not be needed though...

It took me a long time and lots of swearing before I figured it out, but now I could change it again in about 5 minutes - pretty easy!