Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 vacuum line question

After the engine install, I have a vacuum line which is loose and I don't know where it plugs in. It is less than 1/4" thick and it sucks air in.

It forms a "T" with another line which goes from transmission to a sensor on the engine block. This T is near the EGR valve, somewhat in front and to the left of it.

With this line loose, the engine doesn't idle and dies at every stop light unless I keep the RPMs high. When I plug it with something, the engine idles better but has a hard time starting and sometimes dies anyway. Whether I plug it or not, it runs good at highway speeds.

I have both Chiltons and Haynes manuals and I looked at their vacuum diagrams but cannot figure out what this is.

Hey V.Versa, EA82's come with a wide variety of fuel systems.

Few more specifics may get you an answer.

There should be a vacuum line diagram on the under side of your hood.

A pict would help greatly

If your vacuum diagram is missing, if you list the car, year, and fuel system, maybe somebody can

a) look it up in a FSM

B) Check a similar car and send you a pict of the diagram.

there is a narrow vacuum hose coming from the passenger firewall. it plugs into the plastic T from the manifold and transmission. does your defrost work. this is what controls the vent selectors.

the body end will go to a small plastic reducer on a fatter hose off the strut tower