Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission Fluid Change...Drop the Pan?

I'm over due to change the tranny fluid on my 90 Legacy. Should I have a shop drop the pan to do it. Or is it just as good to use the drain plug? I've heard dropping the pan can induce a leak even if you use a new gasket.

So there's the rub. If you have a shop do it and a leak follows, you can take it back to them and make them fix it. But do you have the time to chase them down.

At 138,000 miles I changed the fluid on my 90 Loyale by the drain plug method. I bought the car used at 68,000 miles and couldn't say if it had ever been done by the previous owner.

As I recall, there was a crush washer as with the oil plug.

Pretty simple job.

Dropping the pan won't get out any more than opening the plug. I started out draining and re-filling the 4-5 or so quarts every 1-2 years, essentially changing half at a time.

Draining, re-filling, running, draining, re-filling will change 75% of it. Not too bad and cheaper than a $129 flush.

Finally did my own flush by pulling off a hose at the radiator and running (pumping) out the old while adding fresh on my last change.

Yep, did forget to mention the filter, thanks. The first generation should have had a canister filter retrofitted as part of a recall. I've changed mine, but Subaru claims it doesn't have to be. If your '90 doesn't have one up near the radiator on the left inner fender, install one. For you guys with newer cars, I think there is a spin-on that should be changed.

Yep, did forget to mention the filter, thanks. The first generation should have had a canister filter retrofitted as part of a recall. I've changed mine, but Subaru claims it doesn't have to be. If your '90 doesn't have one up near the radiator on the left inner fender, install one. For you guys with newer cars, I think there is a spin-on that should be changed.

I am told that for my 2000 and 2005, the AT filters are lifetime filters. I suppose they are not counting on the Old Gen guys carrying on with the newer models as in the past (some still driving 1978 models?) or more likely know that the cars would never last as long... it's the car's lifetime not the driver's.