Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I purchased an Outback XT in November of 2004 and have been very happy with its performance through the New England winter. HOWEVER, I developed a crack in the windshield in early December, and when I took it back to the dealership to get checked (since it was suspicious) they pointed to a chip underneath the driver's windshield wiper and said it was caused by a rock strike and that my insurance needs to take care of it.

Upon further inspection I feel that it is virtually impossible for a rock to strike in this location due to aerodynamics unless it fell straight down. Now the crack has extended itself across the bottom of the windshield and there is another crack that has developed in the corner of the passenger side.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced these problems and if anyone knows of a person who is in charge of service in the New England area that might be able to help out.

Thanks!

well...

i had a rock hit my WRX in the same spot

causing a crack right up the middle then out to each side of the car

i wouldnt say it's impossible

just not likely :)

but it does happen.

i replaced my windshield for $250 with a local/reputable windshield repair shop

good luck

jamie

Our MY01 Wagon did the same thing. I believe there are mounts below the gasket at the bottom that the windshield rests on. Our dealer said the same thing, rock strike. It would be nearly impossible for a rock to have hit under the wiper. Our crack started to head to the right from the driver's side, within 2 weeks a second crack on the passenger side started and it too went to the right, away from the driver's side crack. Eventually the driver's side caught up to the passenger side and formed a double arch, one long arch to the passenger side then another smaller one from the passenger’s side over. Dealer refused to budge even with the additional crack, so the cost of the new replacement was my contribution.

I had posted here about this and I remember at least one if not two similar problems from others.

BTW- our Limited OB has the winter package with the heated base. $380 to replace with an aftermarket. The heating element looks different but performs the same.

Our crack started to head to the right from the driver's side, within 2 weeks a second crack on the passenger side started and it too went to the right, away from the driver's side crack. Eventually the driver's side caught up to the passenger side and formed a double arch, one long arch to the passenger side then another smaller one from the passenger’s side over.

UGH! This sounds exactly like my problem. I'm not looking forward to the added cost!

The direction of the crack is strictly related to the location of the highest stress areas on your windshield. (bottom 3" has the most stress) Think of it like water. It will always find the easiest route until it hits as low as it can go. On your windshield, that is the edge of the glass.

As far as the chip. If there is ANY sign of a strike at any point along the crack, nobody, including dealers or auto glass companies, will not warranty the windshield. Keep in mind, your wipers aren't in that position at all times when it is raining. Your best bet is to ask the auto glass company for their opinion. Since they did not install the windshield, their response has no bearing on them so they should be upfront and honest with you.

The direction of the crack is strictly related to the location of the highest stress areas on your windshield. (bottom 3" has the most stress) Think of it like water. It will always find the easiest route until it hits as low as it can go. On your windshield, that is the edge of the glass.

As far as the chip. If there is ANY sign of a strike at any point along the crack, nobody, including dealers or auto glass companies, will not warranty the windshield. Keep in mind, your wipers aren't in that position at all times when it is raining. Your best bet is to ask the auto glass company for their opinion. Since they did not install the windshield, their response has no bearing on them so they should be upfront and honest with you.

Thanks Sydfloyd, that's a good idea!

I had a similar problem. I wonder if there is an auto glass industry reporting that could evaluate the incidence of Subaru replacement experiences. If you could determine the number of replacement pieces either SOA or aftermarket that were being installed yearly and compare it to other auto makers, you might find a pattern worth discussing other than "yup, me two". In the meanwhile, as I stated initially, "yup, me too."

Honda takes the cake!!!! I do about 10 to 1 honda windshield replacements compared to Subaru.

The new Chevy Silverado trucks are a close 2nd.

And how many Hondas are there on the roads compared to Subarus? Same question for the Chevy. . .

Granted, my 92 wagon is fairly bulletproof in most respects. . . OK, almost all redspects (it will dent just like any other car when hit. . . it just handles better so it dosn't get hit as often :grin: Oh, and there is the towing issue, but honestly, how often does that happen. . . With me it is much more likely that I'm towing someone else, as I carry a tow rope in my car due to a really bad stretch of road on my commute ( very dark due to no streetlights, hilly, and lots of curves.) .