Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust Opinions here..

I was considering eliminating both cats and stock muffler in place for 2" pipe all the way back to a high flow muffler..

Opinions I dont want: (removing catalytic converters, yes I know they are there for a reason, but I want the extra 5-10hp instead of being a non-polluter, sorry. I may run with a highflow monolith cat, but for now, I'm not concerned with that in this post.)

Opinions I do want:

Should I bend the pipes like the stock exhaust for highest effeciency or should I make my "Y-Pipe" bend as little as possible and try to make the piping as straight as possible?

Thanks for your opinions.

Info, please:

a) Which engine

B) Any other mods planned to go with this?

C) Do you want to shift your power band up, down, or remain around the same RPM.

In general, the fewer bends the better, the milder the bends the better, and maintaining a constant cross-section is important; all of these will halp limit unwanted pulse reflections. The length and cross-section of the primary pipe will help determine the power-band that the exhaust will work best at.