Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear right cargo area window issue on 03 wagon

I have a 03 OBW and I recently noticed that the window on the rear right(that window that has the black border around with the AWD label on)....the black border at the top left corner of the window is starting to 'develop' some bubbles. I tried to find the cause from the inside but there is molding in the area where the black frame is.

My question is....what might be cauing something like that and should I be worried. Initially, I thought it might be a leaky seal but I do not find any evidence(at least where I can see) of water.

Is this enough reason to have the dealer inspect it since my warranty is still not up?

There are no cracks in the seal or anything on the outside of the window and I just thought that for a car this new(usually garaged too) should not have the black border 'peeling' or bubbling already.

Danz

Sounds to me like the the glass is separating a bit. Happens all the time on our C130 windows, showing air bubbles, or pockets.

Wouldn't it be great if Subaru installed windows that cracked open a bit back there. It sure would alleviate a lot of the window fogging problems.

What do you mean when you say the glass is separating a bit? Does this mean that the seal is separating from the glass and therefore through time, it'll be a leaky seal? water getting in etc?

What is the black border around the window made of anyway? I just thought it was a film that covered the inside of the plastic molding that is in the cargo area.

Sounds to me like the the glass is separating a bit. Happens all the time on our C130 windows, showing air bubbles, or pockets.

Wouldn't it be great if Subaru installed windows that cracked open a bit back there. It sure would alleviate a lot of the window fogging problems.

That window is not laminated glass like a windshield, it is tempered.

Are the "bubbles" in the black frit? If they are, this is something you want to get taken care of.

The black band is called a frit. It is a ceramic that is applied just like a shirt gets silk screened. It is designed to protect the adhesive underneath it from UV since the urethane is not UV stable. Something is going on in there to cause a breakdown and will more than likely continue.

Possible causes are numerous including a bad mix of the ceramic orbad reaction of the primers or urethane to the frit.

If the car is still under warranty, get it fixed and this IS a warranty item.

Thanks for the advice. I notied the bubbles in the frit area on the top left corner and I had just assumed that it was a laminate of somekind that they wanted to hide the back of the plastic molding.

I will make an appointment with the dealer tomorrow and get the car in. Are there any key words that I should know of before hand just in case I get brushed off with a ...."it's common and not a problem" answer?

Sure glad I asked this question

Thanks again!!!

Are the "bubbles" in the black frit? If they are, this is something you want to get taken care of.

The black band is called a frit. It is a ceramic that is applied just like a shirt gets silk screened. It is designed to protect the adhesive underneath it from UV since the urethane is not UV stable. Something is going on in there to cause a breakdown and will more than likely continue.

Possible causes are numerous including a bad mix of the ceramic orbad reaction of the primers or urethane to the frit.

Well, I spoke to the dealer and made an appointment to drop it in Monday. It started about anywhere from 6 mths to a yr ago and initially was just a small bubble. It is slowly spreading across and now has become larger.

Has anyone else has ever had this problem???

You can tell them that if it is common, then there is a major problem, and you would like some new glass.

Thanks for the advice. I took the car in and the service writer did not really know how to describe the problem as he had never seen one like that before. Anyway, the service manager took a look the next day and he said that the window and/installation components were defective so a new window is ordered. It will be replaced next week.

Good thing I asked about this otherwise, I might have just let this slip thinking that it was normal and who knows what would have happened?

Thanks!!!!