Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about diving in........

chef_tim

There is an 85/6 2wd wagon with a SPFI EA82 in for $395. It seemed to start and run good it does have a tic, hoping it's a MM gasket. This would be to replace my Webered CCR EA81. 126k on the clock, and I'd still have to convince Vicky that $395 basical for a motor would be worth it. Can I count on some serious wiring help from you guys if I jump on it????? Give me your thought both possitive and negative so I can make an informed decision. Thanks, Tim

if you want... just get a motor. morganm is stripping a loyale atm, with spfi. im sure hed let some spfi stuff go for very cheap. then all you need to find is a good longblock

but ya, i'll help you all i can. and seems like the spfi even has a manual or something

Vicky said since I spent $1100 on my EA81 that I have to drive it till it dies:eek: . BUT, could I put SPFI on to that motor and get the same effect???? It has Brat cams and EA71 pistons so the compression is probably a little high. Tim

That would acyually probably be your best bet for reliability of the EA81 and the reliability of the SPFI system. I wouldn't worry about the CR too much the SPFI motor is 9.5:1 as it is. I can't imagin that even with the EA71 pistons that the EA81 would be much higher than that.

I say go for it.

What could I expect in comparision to the Weber??? Better milage??? more topend??? How about my bottem end?? I just want to be sure it will be worth the time and money. If you see Morgan point him to this post to see what he has available. Thanks, Tim

One thing I don't want to do is mess with this motor, I do appriciate the offer though. I tired of messing with the Weber too, it runs great but with out the efficiency and power I expected. Is there a list of parts I need to start looking for??? Thanks, Tim

Sorry I didn't find this post earlier; I don't come to this section often.

Tim; I'm stripping a Loyale right now. I could pull off everything you need for the SPFI conversion. So far it sounds like pulling the harness would be the toughest part. I'm not looking to score big $ of this stuff; just enough to pay for the tow dolly and junkyard to take it away would be fine by me :) Then I could tell the wife it really was a "free" parts car! :brow:

Send me a PM if you seriously want the stuff. I'm going to be pulling 90% of it off anyway as spare parts. Would perfer to see it go to a board member and actually get used instead of sitting on my shelves :)