Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need daytime running lights for 97 Outback

Crikies, just put the headlights in the ON position. They turn on and off with the ignition. OH, I forgot 'Canada'.

Maybe someone can explain how to wire them so the lights are in the ON position, while the switch indicates OFF.

Geeze, it's as bad as Hawaii up there. I DO appreciate the 2-2-2s and Vegemite tho'.

I can get a daytime running light kit at Canadian Tire, but I was wondering if I can put in a factory unit with less fuss. Also in Canada they have to be wired datime running lights that always comes on when driving. Simply turning on the lights will not pass the federal inspection. Thanks

Geeze, how much is a kit? You could run a 12 volt relay coil off anything that gets 12 volts while the key is on, then run a decent sized wire to ground on one side of the contactor and run the other leg to the ground side of one of the low beams (Yellow with Blue stripe according to my diagram).

They'll be a bit brighter than normal daytime lights.

I got it, I got it! Go to the ofice supply stor and get a sheet of small white rub-on letters. Opposite the ON position of the switch apply the following:

D/L.

Show the inspector that with the swith in the 'Day Light' position, the lights are on as soon as the ingition is turned on. Make sure the lights are on low beam, when you do this.

VOILA!

I got it, I got it! Go to the ofice supply stor and get a sheet of small white rub-on letters. Opposite the ON position of the switch apply the following:

D/L.

Show the inspector that with the swith in the 'Day Light' position, the lights are on as soon as the ingition is turned on. Make sure the lights are on low beam, when you do this.

VOILA!

Be sure to have the inspector first drink a bottle of contraband booze made especialy for that purpose iin Whitefish Montana. :drunk:

Be sure to have the inspector first drink a bottle of contraband booze made especialy for that purpose iin Whitefish Montana. :drunk:

Clever Gilles, how ever did you know about THAT? My neighbor brews up some mighty fine mooonshine. Mixed with huckleberry juice, it's know locally as "Purple Jesus".

Clever Gilles, how ever did you know about THAT? My neighbor brews up some mighty fine mooonshine. Mixed with huckleberry juice, it's know locally as "Purple Jesus".

I smelled it on your breath reading post no 5 :grin:

• 2 years later...

I'm helping a friend import a 97 Outback into Canada.

Which DRL kit would you use? The $25.00 Hamsar kit (model 70987) from Canadian Tire says it does not work with Subaru.

Or is there a DIY solution will please the inspectors?

DRL's are generally the high beams run at reduced intensity; not sure if that's how Subaru does it. The aftermarket units usually drive the lamps with a square wave of some duty cycle since that's more efficient than using a resistor or other linear method.

Anyway, the aftermarket kit may have said it won't work with Subaru's because I think the left head lamp and right head lamp are on separate circuits with separate relays. If so you'd need two DRL kits.

Can you maybe put on a pair of driving lights and have those come on with the ignition? Or does it have to be the headlights? Or maybe the fog lamps?

Looking at my info it shows there is a Blu/Blk wire on pin 7 of the main fuse box that contains the headlight relays. To turn on the headlights all that is needed is to ground pin 7. You can do that by installing a relay where the coil is tied to the accessories power and ground. Then tie the switched contacts of the relay with one side going to pin 7 and the other side to ground.

The info shows a pretty big difference between the DRL and w/o DRL wiring. I doubt that you can just plug in a module and make it work that way.

Judging from the amount of people coming down from Alberta expecting beer and wine at 6:00 am I would venture to say that daytime running lights are for the inebriated( just sticking up for smitty). We enjoy our Northern neighbors and their money.