Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru R160 LSD differential

Decker_Forester

• 3 years later...

thats funny,i just did this and did not have to modify anything.i thought we talked about this?gees........

i just put a 4.44 ring gear on the clutch pak LSD unit and did nothing to modify.ask if you want pics.cheers, brian

an 83 GL wagon has a 3.9 ratio.

The 3.9 gear can be put on that LSD to make it a 3.9. To make it a 4.11 or 4.44, the center section has to be modified to accept the larger bolts that the 4.11 and 4.44 gear require.

thats funny,i just did this and did not have to modify anything.i thought we talked about this?gees........

i just put a 4.44 ring gear on the clutch pak LSD unit and did nothing to modify.ask if you want pics.cheers, brian

The VLSD chunk is a little more compact than the other.

This old thread is proof the search button works. Awesome to see folks using it.

VLSD do not work well in offroaders. Do not lock under low speed applications.

They work great from MOST offroading. I.E. Mud, snow, sand, gravel roads. The one place where they are not as good as a clutch pack is rock crawling.

I spend more time in mud and snow than rock crawling and the VLSD works great for that. That is why the VLSD is used in the newest and best Subies.