Ultimate Subaru Message Board

L Series IDLING HIGH - Please read on...

Hi All,

Long time since I have made a post - had forgotten my old details so had to recreate account (think it was deleted on change over to new server??).

Anyway, I still have the '92 L series wagon. Has just passed its 10,000km service mark, and is idling very high (don't have tacho so not sure exactly) and I am experiencing a real lack of power - it burbles heavily above about 2500 rpm.

Nearly didn't make it up the hill yesterday. Checked oil, a little low so topped up. Seems to be breathing ok. Some kind of sucking noise when I give it some throttle in neutral but can't find it.

It probably just needs the service, but can't afford it until at least next week.

Any help / tips would be GREAT :)

Thanks,

Nick

Sounds like you may just have a vacuum leak - check that all the vacuum hoses are connected and not cracked.

Thanks Ross,

Will have a look at it tonight after work and let you know how I go. The hose may only be half off since I am only losing vacuum at higher revs...

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Nick :)

Checked all vacuum hoses - all fine. My muffler is pretty severely worn out, could that be the cause? Also, the sucking noise I refered to in the first post is coming from the temperature switch on the air intake (the thing that changes from hot to cold air intake once the car has warmed up). If muffler worn, would lack of back pressure be the problem?

Thanks again,

Nick

No, the muffler could fall off and your car will still run fine (if a little loud!). I don't know much about those late ea82s, is it fuel injected? Someone more familiar with these later engines may be able to help further........

No, the muffler could fall off and your car will still run fine (if a little loud!). I don't know much about those late ea82s, is it fuel injected? Someone more familiar with these later engines may be able to help further........

Nah carbie! I drove it about 15km last night, and after a while idle speed dropped to "normal". This morning again it was high on the way to work. Will have another look tonight - could it be fuel system?

Thanks again,

N.

nsane']Sounds like the computer is having a hard time going into closed-loop..

Might check out the o2 sensor?

Are you getting any codes?

Codes / O2 sensor are probably a little above my head :confused: ...

Car has been running a lot better since I disconnected the hot air tube from cat converter through to air intake. When I gave some revs there was a weird sucking noise from the thermostatically controlled intake gate on the air filter intake (where it changes from plastic to metal prior to air filter). So disconnected pipe from intake, so no hot air could be sucked in.

Remember this is carb engine so does it still have a computer as such?

Could be auto choke - or the car was sucking hot air the whole time.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Nick

It could indeed be the auto choke, ive seen them do that on other cars before, but ive never had/seen a subie with one.

Yeh, pretty sure auto choke is problem now that I think about it - car was idling at "choke speed" constantly for a while there. Now will generally drop to normal warm idle speed after it has warmed up - engine may have been flooding - could have been combination of hot air / flooding...

I know this is a big question but what are my options with regard to choke. Easily fixed?

Thanks again,

N.