Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ideas on removing floor goo...

you know the stuff, that hard tar like stuff they cover the inside of the floor with. Anyway i need to get it off, to do some serious floor welding! Does anyone know of any easy way to get this goo off??

Cheers

Break it off with a hammer on a really cold day.

*Edit* On second thought, you probably don't get many cold days in New Zealand.

right, I guess the tar won't be too flakey when its 30*c outside.

Pour liquid nitrogen on it, or find a meat cooler you can drive into :-p

*Edit* On second thought, you probably don't get many cold days in New Zealand.

Depends on what you call cold. It certainly aint 30*c at the moment! We might get 10 days each year that hot!

But it isn't cold enough to flake it off though (not all of it anyway). Winter is coming though, maybe i could wait till then!

I used the widest flat screw driver and a hammer and just tapped away at it. Alot of it came out in good size chuncks once I got a piece going. Now I'm going to use Breaklean to get off the residue before I bed line it. It did take me several sessions to get it all out, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Later, Tim

Thanks guys, i think ill have a go at the screwdriver and hammer thing this weekend, hopefully the weather wil be cold enough!

Looks like most of the inside of the floor has already been replaced, its just little bits i need to do. Then ill have to fabricate some form of a rotisserie so i can do the underside.......

• 5 weeks later...