Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Lift Kit on the market

Hello, I am James Malarkey President of Allied Armament www.alliedarmament.com We currently getting geared up to manufacture lift kits for 1985 to 1994 subaru gl loyales and various other subaru's (ea82's). Our lift kits provide close to 13inches of ground clearance all around and the kits themselves have a 5yr limited warranty. If you have a chance stop by our website we have a few pictures and a video feed of one of our company cars, we are getting ready to put up some more pics of a comparison of a BYB lift kit vs. the Allied Armament kit (we have two cars with each lift installed). Also we will be covering an engine swap from a 1.8 liter EA82 to a 2.2 liter out of a legacy, it should give us a 135hp and help with the GL subaru's lack of power. If you would like to contact me personally you can do so at malarkey2@aol.com

Interesting to say the least. 13"s is alot of ground clearance for 29" TSL SS's. I got 11.5" ground clearance with 29" tires. I'm more interested in how the suspension lift aspect of your 4" kit is done. How about fitting those 29"s ? I had to pund a lot of stuff out of the way and cut my fenders in half. Will that be required.

Look forward to more details on your site.

I'm new to the board, but I have been working on subarus for the last 10 yrs. Mainly backyard mechanics, but then I went to school for automotive mechanics never finished the whole program, but ended up getting my degree in business management. My associate on the other hand has been working on Suubs his whole life he's actually the one who designed the lift kit, and to make sure the kits will work we have trial tested the hell out of them, and worked hand in hand with some engineers I went to school with. We also purchased a Subaru from les in missouri off of ebay with a BYB 3"inch lift did a comparison found our flaws and made the revisions. Dont get me wrong those BYB lifts are good, but the just dont give you the ground clearance people are looking for. Anyways got to go be back on the board soon.

Interesting. What exactly is your history with Subarus? Only asking because you appear to be new to the board.

If you look at my reply to the other post above yours you may have some clarity in my nature. As for the lifts effect on suspension geometry and fender well trimming. There is trimming needed to be able to install the 29's not a ton. The lift does add some strain to the axles but only by an extra ten to fifteen degrees. We have never broken a rear axle yet and have put over 10 thousand miles on the test mule. As for the front axles we have taken a BYB lift design approach, which almost eliminates strain on the front axles. Also we are giving a five year warranty on our product so if there is any defects you have five years to exploit them and have your lift kit parts repaired free of charge sans shipping. Anyways got to go leave a message and I will reply shortly. JM

Our kits use a combination of body and suspension lift

That's good news on the axle geometry. I'm also wondering what is done to achieve the suspension lift. Taller springs in the mcphearson's and rear coil overs?

On the trimming aspect. You noted not a lot was required. Would that seam in the unibody there that's perpendicular to the fenderwell need to be folded over? I had to pretty much flatten mine out to make room for 29"s. How much triming on the fenders? I'm all about cutting and bashing things out of the way for bigger tires; but a lot of people are scared to even roll the corners in... let alone cut them.

Can you tell I'm a little excited to see a new lift kit coming to market? 13"s of clearance; thats sweet!

Thanks.

We are working on adapting Toyota king suspension to the front of the subaru (not for lift but for better suspension). The suspension is still stock, but there are strut extensions front and rear. There are also raising blocks and round tubing for subframe support in the front of the vehicle, we are also currently deciding whether or not to unify the whole unit for more strenght. as for the rear all we needed to do is lower the strut support, and lower the rear pumpkin. All the components are made of steel and will be parkerized then painted, but we may also powder coat. As for the trimming it all depends on tire size if you go real big like 30" or 31" plan on beating the inside fenderwall to death, otherwise anything 29 and under will just be trim and folding. What is good is that we are going to give an instructional video with the lift so that people know exactly how to install the lift, trouble shoot suspension problems, and fender well trimming. -JM

That's good news on the axle geometry. I'm also wondering what is done to achieve the suspension lift. Taller springs in the mcphearson's and rear coil overs?

On the trimming aspect. You noted not a lot was required. Would that seam in the unibody there that's perpendicular to the fenderwell need to be folded over? I had to pretty much flatten mine out to make room for 29"s. How much triming on the fenders? I'm all about cutting and bashing things out of the way for bigger tires; but a lot of people are scared to even roll the corners in... let alone cut them.

Can you tell I'm a little excited to see a new lift kit coming to market? 13"s of clearance; thats sweet!

Thanks.

I just put a post describing most of the suspension components. As for cost anyone who purchases a lift before 4/15/05 that is before our production date will only have to pay $350, after that date we are not quite sure of what our cost basis will be, but expect the lifts to cost around $450 or more. Remember it may be paying a little more than the BYB lift but you get a 5yr warranty.

~Josh~

We also purchased a Subaru from les in missouri off of ebay with a BYB 3"inch lift did a comparison found our flaws and made the revisions.

BYB kits are awesome. I've had 9 Soobs with PK's BYB kits on them. I've installed 13 in all. I say they're pretty bullet proof.

So you guys made up your own kit, or did you use a BYB kit as a model and revise it?

If so, that would be most uncool.

I remember that wagon on the front page. Is that you and your wagon? Saw you at the WCSS6 when you rolled in, then i remember seeing the car again in the horse corral.

Looks like thats a pretty capable rig. I didnt notice any other cars on your page... how many people are running your lifts?

You know... there are other 15" rims out there that you can use :) I wouldnt be doing too much off-roading with t-type rims.

-Brian

No rights infringement here, we built everything without even looking at another lift. Though there are some similarities they are not the same. Welcome to capitalism play ball...

Im sure there is some sort of patent on the BYB lift and PK so far is the only one who has rights to copy it.

I hope you didnt just remove that BYB kit and create a mock-up byb kit :\

I'll check out your page soon.

-Brian

We have peugot rims on our other vehicles. Also that was my associate at the event that is his car. As for other vehicles we have only installed five lifts. JM

I remember that wagon on the front page. Is that you and your wagon? Saw you at the WCSS6 when you rolled in, then i remember seeing the car again in the horse corral.

Looks like thats a pretty capable rig. I didnt notice any other cars on your page... how many people are running your lifts?

You know... there are other 15" rims out there that you can use :) I wouldnt be doing too much off-roading with t-type rims.

-Brian

Hello, I am James Malarkey President of Allied Armament www.alliedarmament.com We currently getting geared up to manufacture lift kits for 1985 to 1994 subaru gl loyales and various other subaru's (ea82's). Our lift kits provide close to 13inches of ground clearance all around and the kits themselves have a 5yr limited warranty. If you have a chance stop by our website we have a few pictures and a video feed of one of our company cars, we are getting ready to put up some more pics of a comparison of a BYB lift kit vs. the Allied Armament kit (we have two cars with each lift installed). Also we will be covering an engine swap from a 1.8 liter EA82 to a 2.2 liter out of a legacy, it should give us a 135hp and help with the GL subaru's lack of power. If you would like to contact me personally you can do so at malarkey2@aol.com

I sent you an email. Everthing sounds good, and I am interested in a lift.

I will try to get some more pictures up soon of the other vehicles that are lifted . I am currently away from the shop so I will not have anything new on the website for at least a couple of days to a week. Also our system administrator the hillbilly with the gun at the bottom of the page at the contact webmaster icon is in Hawaii and im not sure when he will be back. He does all the website adjustments. JM

I would be interested in seeing pix of the 5 others.

-Brian

No rights infringement here, we built everything without even looking at another lift. Though there are some similarities they are not the same. Welcome to capitalism play ball...

Another lift is welcome, the more lifted subie's out there the better, but a strait up capatilist "playing ball" might piss some people off. Try to be considerate of others work before undercutting them. I remember a recent and nice post (http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30202&page=3&pp=10) by Mudrat79 who talked to PK about making the 4/4 lifts because that was PK's new setup. PK is making his lifts close to at cost, and I believe the lift equipment itself has a as long as he is working lifetime gaurantee. Cutting others slack is a good thing.

First and formost, selling is done in the market place ONLY!

Second, these appear to be pretty big claims.

I'm new to the board, but I have been working on subarus for the last 10 yrs. Mainly backyard mechanics, but then I went to school for automotive mechanics never finished the whole program, but ended up getting my degree in business management. My associate on the other hand has been working on Suubs his whole life he's actually the one who designed the lift kit, and to make sure the kits will work we have trial tested the hell out of them, and worked hand in hand with some engineers I went to school with. We also purchased a Subaru from les in missouri off of ebay with a BYB 3"inch lift did a comparison found our flaws and made the revisions. Dont get me wrong those BYB lifts are good, but the just dont give you the ground clearance people are looking for. Anyways got to go be back on the board soon.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You built your own kit. Put 10K miles on it and didn't find the flaws until you compared it to a BYB/Ozified kit? 15 degrees of increased stress put on the rear axles. That's alot for those of you who don't realize it.

Pictures will provide a bit of proof to your claims.

Thanks and please keep all further sales pitches to the market place.

Sorry to market on the message board just wanted to get the new lift out so people new about it. The more the merrier right, gives people selection and then they can make an educated decision. Also I am not trying to nock any of the other manufactures I only speak highly of their products, as I can attest the BYB is an awesome lift I just drove 3000 miles with one with barely a squeek. But, I am just trying to get something out there with a little more CLEARANCE, the thing that can make the difference of making it through a mud hole or getting stuck. Anyways, I am glad to be apart of the message bored and I will even more glad to meet you at future events. Oh and before I go yes we did compare our lift to the BYB kit in the end and we had to make some adjustments to some small design flaws, "you know thats what happens when you've never examined another subarus lift before." Anyways its late and if anyone has any questions contact me through our website. JM

First and formost, selling is done in the market place ONLY!

Second, these appear to be pretty big claims.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You built your own kit. Put 10K miles on it and didn't find the flaws until you compared it to a BYB/Ozified kit? 15 degrees of increased stress put on the rear axles. That's alot for those of you who don't realize it.

Pictures will provide a bit of proof to your claims.

Thanks and please keep all further sales pitches to the market place.

Welcome aboard. I think the biggest hurdle your going to need to clear is building a relationship with people here based on trust. It would be hard for me to send $350 to someone with out some sort of evidence of an actual product. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not even implying that this is a scan, but BYB has built a reputation here that will be hard to stand up to. Do I think you should try??? By all means, every new product that comes out for our older Subbies is only going to add to the choices we have for modification. Sell a couple of kit, get a sellers feed back score and you will be on your way. Again welcome to the board, Tim

So this lift you're offering has more clearance? Is it comparable to a 6" body lift? I have a 4" kit on one of my wagon's right now with strut and shock's extended by another 1 3/4" and I still had to beat the hell out of the fender wall to clear 29's with a bit of rubbing. I'll be changing out the first blown up CV this weekend after about 8,000 mi, alot of that's abusive wheeling but the increased angles and strain on the axles will make changing axles part of regular maintenance for me. I'm curious as to how your kit will get around this problem, an extra 10-15 degrees of axle strain is considerable, it also tends to limit the travel of your wheel somewhat cause there's only so much give in the cv's.