Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What a Pain in the A*** Anyone got detailed wiring diagrams, Completed!!!

I got a instrument panel with a Tach last week with the intention to install it this weekend, i started yesterday arvo to discover that all the wires are different colours, and even some of the plugs are different. GRRRRRR:banghead:

Where can i get detailed diagrams so I can direct the right wires to the right plugs, otherwise i will have to test each wire individually, which will take days.

I got a instrument panel with a Tach last week with the intention to install it this weekend, i started yesterday arvo to discover that all the wires are different colours, and even some of the plugs are different. GRRRRRR:banghead:

Where can i get detailed diagrams so I can direct the right wires to the right plugs, otherwise i will have to test each wire individually, which will take days.

The only one that I have would be for the USA market and I doubt they would help you.

Even a picture of the back of the instrument cluster with the names of the pins would be fine

I assume the actual pins would be the same, but maybe different coloured wires.

Ive worked out the pins for the central display ( the one with the picture of the car which shows the open doors ect) but i need to work out the ones for the gauges ect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Even a picture of the back of the instrument cluster with the names of the pins would be fine

I assume the actual pins would be the same, but maybe different coloured wires.

Ive worked out the pins for the central display ( the one with the picture of the car which shows the open doors ect) but i need to work out the ones for the gauges ect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I forgot to add, that my diagram is not for a 1992, it's for a 1986 model. Send me an e-mail and I'll reply with a scanned copy.

camelman99@hotmail.com is my email

Ive worked out all the pins (i think) except for two that go to a mini circuit board on the inside with a IC and a few other components

ALEXB,.. i assume that the wire for the tach will be there but if it isnt, you should only have to run a wire from the low voltage side of the Ign coil, (as far as i know)

I will tell you more once i get a diagram and i work out mine

Thanks Dr. RX

Dr. RX, do u have a diagram that could help me???

Ive worked out all the wires except one, a White and Blue one, which follows a pcb track to a IC and a few components above the speedo. what could this be???

My old dash dosent have a fuel light, will my car have a wire there for one??

Alexb,.... if u look at the back of the panel, most of the pcb tracks are marked, and those that arent, if you follow them, its pretty easy to work out what they do.

the centre display, (the one with the picture of the car) will have to be dismantled, (its easy) and the names of the wires/lights are marked on the inside side of the pcb.

The wiring identification will have to be done to the donor dash as well as the one currently in the car,.. then once all your wires are identified, connect them up

See how u go and post abck if u have any problems

Dr. RX, do u have a diagram that could help me???

Ive worked out all the wires except one, a White and Blue one, which follows a pcb track to a IC and a few components above the speedo. what could this be???

My old dash dosent have a fuel light, will my car have a wire there for one??

Alexb,.... if u look at the back of the panel, most of the pcb tracks are marked, and those that arent, if you follow them, its pretty easy to work out what they do.

the centre display, (the one with the picture of the car) will have to be dismantled, (its easy) and the names of the wires/lights are marked on the inside side of the pcb.

The wiring identification will have to be done to the donor dash as well as the one currently in the car,.. then once all your wires are identified, connect them up

See how u go and post abck if u have any problems

Gee guy, you are going to have to be a little patient here, there is a slight time difference, both your posts were made while I was sleeping. Now I am at work, so tonight what I get home I'll look at my diagram, scan it and e-mail it too you.

ok, i think i figured all the wires on the panel with the tach, now the problem is to do the same on the original panel cuse nothing is writen on it , how did you do it?

when you say the yello wire it is the one says "ta" on the pc, and, black and whaite is the one says "ign" .

i did'nt understand were axactly to conect the yello to the coil , tere are two conectors on it which one do i need?

OK, e-mails are on their way, there should be 4 of them, each one about 1meg in size. It is interesting, they don't have color codes, just what the pathway is from the element of the cluster to the pin on the connector(s). I hope this helps.

Quote from alexb: now the problem is to do the same on the original panel cuse nothing is writen on it , how did you do it?

I havent yet, thats gonna happen this weekend (all going as planned)

Ok... The Yellow wire behind the dash goes to the terminal with the yellow wires connected to it on the ignition coil.

The from dash Black/White wires should connect to the Ignition circuit and the Black wires should connect to ground.

Dr Rx,.. thanks for those Pics, ur a lifesaver

Ok,.. i have got both panels lying in pieces on the floor.

I think i have broken the new panel:banghead: , i hooked up the centre part to a 12v battery and tested all the wires but i connected two wires from a same circuit and i think i have burnt a few diodes cos there was a spark, a smell and when i connect one door light, 2 come on

So its off to the electrical parts store tomorro.

meanwhile,.... the wires in my sube are nothing like those on the back of my new panel, but i have got nearly all of them sussed out, its gonna be messy but effective.

There is no yellow wire behind the dash, so i will have to run one from the coil.

alexb,.. u r in for a challenge

and dr. rx those pics helped but unfortunately the pin were in different positions

ok , i'm hapy to say it's all warking , i hooked up the new panel and it is great to look at the tach going up wituh the engen.

so if you have questions go ahead. by the way if you can get the the plugs with the wires from the new panel ( that's what i did) then the colors to the conectors are the same.

im glad to hear that it is do-abledid u run a new wire from the coil???

I think it will work, does your dash with the tach have a small circuit board with an IC on the back of it?

damn those diodes (well i hope that they are the problem)

How much did the new instrument panel cost?

I've got the speedo and the picture of the car on the right... and not having a tacho annoys me! I've though of putting an aftermarket tacho on it, but i think that will just look crap!

Do you want to do mine for me when you've finished? I've heard what a mess it is behind the instrument panel....

I bought mine for $45 off a guy who rolled his sube and was selling parts.

Centre part works, all i have to do now is connect all the wires up and put the dash back on.

P.S. is there a reason why my park brake light stays on all the time now????

I tested the plug for the dash and it reads as 10v between the connector and +12v with handbrake off and reads 12v when the handbrake is on??? why???

I connected the pink wire from my cluster to the yelllow/blue wire from the car. In my Gregorys manual there is only the handbrake switch in the circuit, it doesnt connect to any other circuits.

Have I got an earth leak?

It must be the correct wire cos the voltage on the wire changes when i apply the handbrake

Did you connect the fuel light? if so, where to?

It's Done.... Whooohoo

The Park brake problem only exists while the engine isnt running(dunno why)

Its SOOOO sweet to see my tach move with engine speed :banana:

P.S. 555ron..... I wont be able to get time to help you, sorry. Its an easy conversion though, just be sure to label all the wires before you start cutting them, and have a voltmeter handy, just to check things if they dont seem right.