Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81t: Help! - solid lifters???

I am just now adjusting the tappets on the ea81t (i had earlier adjusted them before i was told that they are hydraulic). It looks like it has solid lifters, but i was told that all turbo ea81s had hydraulic lifters! if i screw in the adjusters by the 4 turns recommended, wait 15mins, then unscrew them, they unscrew the full 4 turns agaiin before the valve closes completely!

There are also no locking tabs.

SO, did ea81ts come with solid lifters in 1983, or are they just stuck hydraulic ones without lock tabs??

Cheers.

ehhhcchh.... as you might see from those pics, the inside of the engine is FILTHY!! And , one of the rockers does not turn freely on the rocker shaft at all. It requires a firm push to get it to move. I think i may have to pull this engine soon.....

The guy i bought it of had had the rings done and turbo replaced recently. I think a very poor job must have been done, i have also noticed the pcv hoses are almosted clogged up with a hard dirty sandy crap. :banghead:

My 83GL specifies 0.010" intake, and 0.014 exhaust, adjusted with engine stone cold, this is from the Subaru manual, but I don't have turbo, do you still have the tune up specifications sticker under the hood? It should say also, but I don't know if that was a USA only thing or not.

those look like hydraulic lifter pushrods. Did the adjustment lock nuts have tabs around them that you had to bend in order to loosen the lock nuts?

no, they didn't.

The pushrods are definitely different to those on my '81 ea81, which should have solid lifters.

Yeah, i do. I would expect that after leaving the lifters open 4 turns for the 15 mins, that it would erquire less than 4 truns of the screw till they are loose again (cos the hla would have compressed some), but it wasnt the case. :confused:

got it...

on the hydro motor the push rods are narrow the whole way down the rod. (from as far into the engine as you can see to the very end the rod is the same diameter)

on the solid lifter motor the push rods are narrow and then have a bulge at the end of the push rod(the rocker side). i can't tell for sure from your pics but look at your rods and if there are the same diameter from the inside of your engine to the very tip you have hydro lifters. if you look at your push rods and they are narrow further in and then have a wider diamater bulge and the END OF THE PUSH ROD, then you have a solid lifter engine that might not be original or just rare.

all right peace, if any questions i'll be up for another hour then i have to go to sleep. it's a little after midnight here in seattle.