Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pulling to the right problem

it is a 88 full time 4wd a/t wagon , tires are balanced, all the same size, proper tire pressure , the car pulls to the right going down the road ,not when the brakes are applied , not real bad , thinking it might be a bad tire switched fronts to back ,still the same problem , any help suggestions ? thanks

Could be alignment, could be brake.

Check to make sure E-brake lever on RH caliper is releasing fully.

Take it for a drive down the road, do an easy stop so as to not put more heat into brakes, then get out and feel the center of the hubs. Looking for one to be much warmer than others, that'll be your dragging brake. Could be front, could be rear.

Word of caution though. If brake is dragging hard, it can get things pretty hot. So approach hubs with caution.

well replaced both sides wheel bearings [seals], replaced both ball joints, [were bad] found out both inner boots of the drive axles were split .[replaced them both ] but the car still pulls to the right , not when the brakes applied , so i guess it needs a aligment ?

we changed the wheel bearings and ball joints. actually had to change the whole knuckle because the ball joint bolts were bad, one stripped off and the other one broke.

anyway when the axles came off, the one on the passenger side, the axle stub came off the tranny, missing its spring clip. same with the front axle the outer end came apart as well, but i was able to whack it back together(so i guess the front halfs DO caome apart!) anyway we xhanged the axles as well and the car still wanders to the right